ESPN 2 Broadcast

Here's an idea. Play. Every. Show. In. Its. Entirety. This is ridiculous. There is no reason not to show everyone's full show! That's the point of the broadcast!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an idea. Play. Every. Show. In. Its. Entirety. This is ridiculous. There is no reason not to show everyone's full show! That's the point of the broadcast!

Supposedly, they want to show a "recruitment" type deal instead of performances...(read: we want to sell more DVD's!) :P

Funny though, what inspired a lot of us to march from the old PBS recording was seeing the SHOWS, not laundry day. ^0^

For whichever corps are shown during the broadcast, I would show the entire show from start to finish - including the on-field-warmup if it's designed as part of the show.  B)

AND a little off topic but I would also...

-Place all closeup shots in the bottom right corner of the screen.

-Being true to the show designer's intent, I would reserve closeups for moments when specific individuals are supposed to be visually featured. (If a maraca player from the pit isn't in the middle of the field playing his maraca solo, then the show designers didn't intend for him to be the focus at that moment). And even then, I would place most of the closeup shots in between significant drill moves or between musical selections (if the show has brief pauses).

(seems like common sense to me but... did anyone see the Quarterfinals broadcast?)

No matter what shot the director chooses, someone will be unhappy. Guard will want a guard shot when they shows drums. Drums will want snares when they show a drill move, etc. Only way to really be happy is to buy the DVD and choose your own angle.

If it was me, I'd go back to the old PBS broadcast way, and let the performances speak for themselves...show the Top 5 instead of the Top 6 though, which leaves enough time (an extra 20 minutes or so) for showing the "behind the scenes".

After all, you don't see just a few seconds of ice skating, or a few seconds of synchronized swimming...you see the whole performance, and draw your conclusions on the program that way.

Oh, well...guess it's "My Summer Camp" again. :P

:ph34r: I always like your posts.

Hmmm lets see PBS only showed 5-6 minutes of each show except for the last corps, which is usually 7 minutes long.

THATS NOT FAIR!!! They gotta show the ENTIRE Cadets show.

I'd cut down the "behind the scenes" segments somewhat to show highlights (maybe a minute or so) of the Div 2 and Div 3 champions, to show that the "world" of drum corps is a bit bigger than the common perception.

I like the idea of showing parts of shows from Div.s I, II, and III... I know people who were sure they'd never make it into the Cadets, then just gave up because they didn't know anything about Div. II/III. It'd be a good way to spread the word. :) B)

I like the idea of showing parts of shows from Div.s I, II, and III... I know people who were sure they'd never make it into the Cadets, then just gave up because they didn't know anything about Div. II/III.  It'd be a good way to spread the word.  :)  B)

When you watch game 7 of the World Series, do you expect to see coverage of A, AA, and AAA teams?

When you watch game 7 of the World Series, do you expect to see coverage of A, AA, and AAA teams?

[sarcasm] ARE YOU SAYING THOSE GUYS IN A, AA AND AAA DON'T WORK EVERY BIT AS HARD AND ARE EVERY BIT AS TALENTED AS THE GUYS IN THE MAJORS??[/sarcasm]

This comment will be largely ignored but I think you have found and drunk from the Grail of Wisdom, Veek.

Stef

No. Actually, it's not the point of the broadcast. The point of the broadcast is not to give people a free trip to the top 6 at finals. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free, after all?

The point of the broadcast is to introduce new fans to the activity.

It's what's known as a 'tease' -- and is intended to give you and others who watch (maybe for the first time) a taste of what this major musical sport is all about.. and hopefully inspire you to go out and join/support/watch one in your town!

It's not brain surgery. It's just drum corps.

Stef