ESPN 2 Broadcast

You all are being way to negative. Would you rather DCI not show anything at all?

Just sit back and enjoy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is interesting to think of the DCI broadcast in comparison to the College Cheerleading shows that are always shown. In cheerleading, they always show the non-division one cheerleading contests in their own broadcast. Perhaps, in the future, DCI could package a shorter (like 1 hr) show for DII/III. Given the time constraints, this would be more about the actual performances, and less behind the scenes.

Now, as for the broadcast of the DI corps, I have often thought that the broadcast should focus more on the organizations themselves rather than individual members. I think the drama of FInals week comes from a corps like Bluecoats fighting to achieve their highest placement and score ever. Or the proud and mighty Vanguard struggling during the season, only to turn it on on Finals night and raise a position. That's the drama, that's what I think viewers would latch onto. Also, a casual viewer might say "Oh, their from Ohio, I hope they do well." And then they have someone to root for. This allows the viewer to pick a favorite and develop a rooting interest. When the broadcast focuses on individuals, what do we do, root for so and so to have a clean show? Since the activity is comprised of corps, not individuals, I think a new viewer could develop a connection to the corps itself.

Finally, I agree that what hooked me (and I believe the majority of us from the '80s) was watching the actual shows on the PBS broadcast. I've never cared about an individual member of the corps. After watching the '87 broadcast, I became a Cadets fan and have had that rooting interest ever since. Ultimately, I think it's easier (and much more involving) to be a fan of a corps rather than a fan of the activity. The broadcast should get the viewers to develop this sort of interest instead of showing how hard all of the kids work duringthe summer.

"I think it is interesting to think of the DCI broadcast in comparison to the College Cheerleading shows that are always shown. In cheerleading, they always show the non-division one cheerleading contests in their own broadcast. Perhaps, in the future, DCI could package a shorter (like 1 hr) show for DII/III. Given the time constraints, this would be more about the actual performances, and less behind the scenes."

They show non-Division I cheerleading squads because the teams are put into divisions based on school size and has little to do with talent levels. I'm a fan of Division 2/3, but how many people were at Division 2/3 finals as oppsoed to Div I?

If I'm the producer, I show two hours of closeup shots of the "Carmen" girl. ^0^

Fran

While I agree with you that the Divisions in cheerleading are based on school size and not talent levels, the fact is that those divisions are below the Div 1 schools (but of course, the talent level of the top of these divisions do compare favorably with the lower ranked schools in Div 1). Much the same, I don't think that anyone is going to disagree that the overall talent level of Div. 2/3 in drum corps matches that of Div. 1, but, the top of Div. 2/3 does compare favorably to the lower part of Div 1. I think EVENTUALLY it would be cool to give those corps a little exposure. Let's face it, you could easily find enough solid material from Div. 2/3 to fill a one hour broadcast (which is all that I think would be needed to give these corps the exposure they deserve).

If I'm the producer, I show two hours of closeup shots of  the "Carmen" girl.  ^0^

Fran

:blink::blink::worthy::blink::blink:

Maybe they'll show some of the I & E competition.-you know, the woodwind part. Sure seems like everyone's favorite here on DCP because there's a lot of talk about it. We sure can't miss out not having this as part of the telecast. We'll get more band folks to love our activity if we "bridge the gap" with them.

:lolhit:

If it was me, I'd go back to the old PBS broadcast way, and let the performances speak for themselves...show the Top 5 instead of the Top 6 though, which leaves enough time (an extra 20 minutes or so) for showing the "behind the scenes".

After all, you don't see just a few seconds of ice skating, or a few seconds of synchronized swimming...you see the whole performance, and draw your conclusions on the program that way.

Oh, well...guess it's "My Summer Camp" again. :P

You got the job>