Booing and not clapping

Guest DrumCorpFan
I've never seen a more rude crowd in my entire life.  Not only that...they were dead.  BORING What a miserable crowd we had at Finals this year.  Can't wait for Madison next year.  Gimme some real drumcorps fans.

It's not the Foxboro fans, check out the 1994 shows from Foxboro and the responses they got. Designers don't design shows to "electrify" fans anymore. They design for themselves and the judges. Fans are an after thought once that is done. If you have the same type of shows in Madison, you will get the same type of responses.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrumCorpFan
Now it's come to this.....we criticize the people who forked over $1,000  or more in some cases to fly in or drive many miles in, attend DCI Championship Week, and because some decided they did not want to give some Corps a rousing ovation, it's " the fans  fault  "who attended. I did not hear any booing at Quarters, Semi's, or Finals. I also do not recall any booing in 1993 of the Star of Indiana at Finals  in Jackson, Mississippi after their performance there either. This seems to be a " surburban " myth that is out there. How these things are created, I'm not sure. But I did not hear a single Corps booed at  the DCI Championships after their performance this year. So I have no idea what you  and others are talking about as you  set out to castigate the 25,000+ fans at DCI this year  ( and in 1993)for something this poster never heard from a single DCI fan at any of these shows.

You got that right. You think I spent thousands to come to Boston and only be mildly entertained? I want to be blown away, amazed out of my mind and taken for an emotional ride that rips my to my feet screaming and cheering spontaneously. That hasn't happened in years. I still am holding hope, though it is waning quickly.

Guest DrumCorpFan
How about some more exciting shows?

Yowsering my way through the magic door....

Exaclty.

Designers, directors, are you listening? Do you want your members to get the rousing audience responses that everyone feels they should be getting?

Ball's in your court.

I was there in 93 as well. There was a lot of discontention when it came to Star's placement and it was quite obvious the crowd wanted ANYONE to win BUT Star, but if you want to talk about a WHOLE LOT of BOOING, lets jump back a year to 1992! THAT was alot of booing. When Phantom was dumped the stadium went ballistic. Then Star was dropped to third, and the place went absolutely NUTS! THat ovation was much louder than when Cavies were announced the winners of their first DCI title!

Guest DrumCorpFan
If some Corps failed to connect with the audience, many of whom came from all sections of the Country, and from various backgrounds and experiences, that is not the paying audience's fault.

It's not the members fault either. You know how I blame, directors and designers. I blame them, 100%

Guest DrumCorpFan
I dunno. I was thinking about it...shouldn't Boston have been a "howetown" crowd for the Crusaders and Cadets? Strange.

Weird to hear the crowd was so dead...I'm sure Madison will be, as Rondo says, "ELECTRIC!"

I thought the crowd did give Boston a hometown boost. They were on their feet the moment Boston came through the door.

Guest DrumCorpFan
Now I am not trying to offend anyone, but usually when folks don't applause it means that they did not like or appreciate what they heard or saw. Thunderous applausing crowds have long been a part of DCI, at least when I marched.....it was part of the adrenalin rush while on the field.....Maybe, just maybe they "don't get it" as you say...but to blame paying fans of drum corps for not applauding is a little pathetic (IMO) and a little offensive......give the people what they want if you want thunderous applause. B)

:huh::ph34r::blink::blink::rock:

Guest DrumCorpFan
Hmm, I thought the crowd was pretty good this year, but if they ever seemed dead it might have something to do with the weather.  I definitely sweat buckets while rehearsing, but this is the first time I sweat that much just sitting in a seat for hours.  I wonder how it was for the performers.

It wasn't the weather. We are drum corps fans. Excite us and we WILL respond. That has been true for decades.

Guest DrumCorpFan
If I'm not entertained, I don't clap either.

But booing this type of event is awful.  I'll never understand how people can boo young people, especially veterans of the activity who talk about the pride that was part of drum corps "back in the day."...yes, yes, yes, I've heard things like this: "I'm not booing them, I'm just booing their evil overlords."  I buy that.  Loads.

I agree. Don't boo the performers for the designs they are performing. Write the directors and designers. They are the ones responsible.

Guest DrumCorpFan
Yeah............I can completely understand the rudeness of booing a corps, that is totally uncalled for.  But if I don't like/approve of a corps show, or what they DO in that show (yowza) there is only one POLITE form of protest available to me aside from staying home from the show, and that is SILENCE.

That movement is already being organized.