Booing and not clapping

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since when is "booing" new in DCI?

I own quite a few dvd's, and all but one have at least one BOOO on it.

~>conner

Now it's come to this.....we criticize the people who forked over $1,000  or more in some cases to fly in or drive many miles in, attend DCI Championship Week, and because some decided they did not want to give some Corps a rousing ovation, it's " the fans  fault  "who attended. I did not hear any booing at Quarters, Semi's, or Finals. I also do not recall any booing in 1993 of the Star of Indiana at Finals  in Jackson, Mississippi after their performance there either. This seems to be a " surburban " myth that is out there. How these things are created, I'm not sure. But I did not hear a single Corps booed at  the DCI Championships after their performance this year. So I have no idea what you  and others are talking about as you  set out to castigate the 25,000+ fans at DCI this year  ( and in 1993)for something this poster never heard from a single DCI fan at any of these shows.

2005 : I was on the 40 in the club section and yes there were booing during awards.

1993 : I was at numerous shows and heard people booing Star in first place. I wrote a similar article to Drum Corps World after 1993 Finals.

I am castigating the people who sat on their hands and booed. Not the people who did the right thing.

Your defensive posture suggests that this hit too close to home.

And yes, I marched. And yes, I have been watching DCI since 1984. You?

The Star of Indiana must have been booed in the midwest in 1993. That's because a review of the schedule for that year from Corpsrep shows that the Star of Indiana never came to New England, New York, New Jersey. They were never in the Northeast that year. So this repeated story of Star being booed in 1993, could only have occurred in the Midwest where 90% of the schedule for the Star of Indiana for 1993 took place until they headed South for the Finals in Jackson, Mississippi. The fact is, I've never heard a Corps booed in a show in the East.  Ever. And it was a Corps from the Midwest....Phantom Regiment.....that clearly was the favorite of the Eastern fans I spoke with this year. They loved Phantom this year. More so than any Eastern Corps. So there seems to be a little regional bias here among a few posters where the facts just don't match the scurrilous charges of the fans at Foxboro this year. There was nothing wrong with the fans in Foxboro, many of whom came from all over the Country.

I think you talked about this in a different thread a few weeks ago, but Star WAS booed in 1993. Not necessarily during their show or when they finished their show, but during retreat. Fans booed once they found out they were to finish 1st. They were booing the corps, the show, the score, and the placement all at once. I don't think it has anything to do with what region of the country they were performing in.

East coast fans know how to boo though. In 1995 they booed the Cadets for winning the show when Madison finished 2nd. And this was a year when Cadets were pretty good and had an entertaing show! AND this particular event was at GIANTS STADIUM!!! I couldn't believe it!

I personally have no problem booing a score, it is any fans right to express their displeasure with an outcome. I believe any rational person knows that at this time it is the judges that are being booed (for the most part). The opposite side of this thread was when Crown got a big ovation last year in Allentown when their amps didn't work rendering their singing useless. This was obviously a dig at the designer/staff.

Yeah............I can completely understand the rudeness of booing a corps, that is totally uncalled for.  But if I don't like/approve of a corps show, or what they DO in that show (yowza) there is only one POLITE form of protest available to me aside from staying home from the show, and that is SILENCE.

Ditto..... Also even if I hate the show I stand when the corps troops the stands to show my respect for the effort the corps puts in.

So wwhen hasn't there been booing during the announcing of scores. That's booing the scores or judges, usually not the corps.

It's those hardcore cavie fans. They always sit in a section...

Like in 2003, did they honestly expect that they were going to win against Blue Devils that night? But it was hushed 10 folds by the roaring BD fans.

:ph34r:

Excuse me?

Tommy, I know you're full of youthful exuberance.. but the statement you just made is patently false. The section of Cavalier fans is filled with FMMs and families of marching members and they are some of the most well informed and considerate fans I've ever met!

In fact, IN GENERAL, I think that particularly the HARDCORE fans of ANY CORPS are the ones you will see clapping and standing, even if it's not wildly appreciative.. they DO show their respect and know what's appropriate. The section they sit in or the corps they are fans of has little to do with it.

I'm not trying to make a crack about how long you have or haven't been involved in the activity.. but I think when you've been around a little longer, you might realize that most "hardcore" fans pretty much like each other and behave with the same respect towards ALL the corps. They aren't as divided as the debates on this (or other) forums might indicate. We all share history and a love for the activity.. REGARDLESS of who is on top in any given year.

Stef

I personally have no problem booing a score, it is any fans right to express their displeasure with an outcome.  I believe any rational person knows that at this time it is the judges that are being booed (for the most part).  The opposite side of this thread was when Crown got a big ovation last year in Allentown when their amps didn't work rendering their singing useless.  This was obviously a dig at the designer/staff.

They may be DIRECTLY booing the judges, but I think they're indirectly booing the corps that won.

Now it's come to this.....we criticize the people who forked over $1,000  or more in some cases to fly in or drive many miles in, attend DCI Championship Week, and because some decided they did not want to give some Corps a rousing ovation, it's " the fans  fault  "who attended. I did not hear any booing at Quarters, Semi's, or Finals. I also do not recall any booing in 1993 of the Star of Indiana at Finals  in Jackson, Mississippi after their performance there either. This seems to be a " surburban " myth that is out there. How these things are created, I'm not sure. But I did not hear a single Corps booed at  the DCI Championships after their performance this year. So I have no idea what you  and others are talking about as you  set out to castigate the 25,000+ fans at DCI this year  ( and in 1993)for something this poster never heard from a single DCI fan at any of these shows.

The "Surburban Myth" statement is not true. I was there in 1993 cheering on The Cadets.

I was sicken and shocked by the boos that came before and after Star's performance that year at Championships. I also know that the boos came during those performance by Phantom Regiment Supporters <**> . Why do I know, I sat right in front of them.

No reflection on the 1993 Phantom Regiment tho – they were wonderful that year.

:ph34r:

Guest DrumCorpFan
  I have to get this off my chest.    I was very disturbed to see people at championships not clapping for many corps.    <**>  I'm not talking about not going overboard, just simply acknowledging the "clap for us now" moments of all the corps programs.

Some did not even clap at the end and give every corp a standing ovation on finals night.  Good grief!!    They made finals and worked their butts off, least you can do is stand up for 30 seconds and make the members understand how much you appreciate them. 

And lastly......I heard some boo's during awards.  That just ticks me off.    I dont care if you did not like a corp(s), stand up and clap.  Yell louder and longer for the corp(s) you loved!!   

Next time that you chose to boo or not clap.....here is what me and my friends think, and are saying,  about you behind your back:  1) You never marched corp and dont get it    2) You marched so long ago that you forgot what it feels like and dont understand that the corp members in XX corp work(ed) just as hard as the one that you liked.    :(  3) Go boo someone making money to entertain you and not the members/staff in this activity.

I remember sitting in horror and hearing 1993 Star being booed.    They left the activity.  Granted it was for many reasons....but let's not let history repeat itself due to your distorted perspective of what this activity is about.    That show is now regarded as cutting edge and ahead of it's time.    Did you boo that show too?

Support the corps.  Support the members.  Clap darn it.  And your mother should spank you if you boo any corp.....regardless of the "logic" in your mind that you aren't booing the members....just the "insert your logic here (director/amps/show,etc.)"  Bull.  You are booing the members and not clapping for all their hard work.   

Any yes, I put my money where my mouth is.  There was one show that I truly disliked this year......I clapped and stood up.  And yes, they were MUCH better from Murfreesboro to Boston..but I still didnt like it.  But, I clapped and stood up.

I hope that everyone might, just maybe,  take this seriously. 

Thanks !    Rant over.  I feel better.

I stand and clap every corps as well. It may not be enthusiastic or loud, but I do. That is my choice.

The designers also make a choice, and if they choose to design a show that, although it connects with what they tell the judges to evaluate highly, doesn't connect with the fans, DON'T BLAME THE FANS, BLAME THE DESIGNERS. I have never booed during a corps' performance. I have booed the judges' scoring. That is not to say "hey the higher scoring corps sucks," it is to say "I think you dissed this corps." There is a difference and the members know it. I have always beared in mind the work and dedication a marching member gives/has. Perhaps the designers should respect that more than they respect themselves.

So, if you are upset that people do not respond enough to corps, don't yell at the fans, email directors and designers who, to this point, have insisted that their way is the only way. That attitude is why you see the fan responses that you see.