why is it.....

Well, you have made it a habit to post rather hostile to those you dont agree with, what makes that ok, but what others feel they can post not ok ?

And please cite some examples of "all these people saying that entire shows suck now" Thats quite a general and inaccurate statement. And hinestly, if al this really makes you mad, step away from the computer and get outside...its a big world and if something you follow makes you mad all the time, you need to find other avenues of pleasure.

~G~

Yes, I got hostile a few times, but at least I didn't crap on anyone's accomplishment! B)

And you don't need me to cite any examples. They're all over DCP. Look for yourself.

That last sentence you wrote probably made the most sense of all. I was out of town for about a week for DCI finals and I never read DCP. That was so much less stress I had!! I think I need to attend a 12 step program to rid myself of this awful DCP addiction..... :(

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you are totally worng. Ten years from now, when we are laughing about Boston Crusaders and thier use of "aqua" ...we wont be saying "God, that silly kid, what was he thinking" ...Its quite clear, its designers that are held responsible for the blunders of design.

Who here holds the kids responsible for "Not the nutcracker" ?? <I liked it, just an example>

~G~

Not the Nutcracker was good!

I asked this question in another thread today. I'm repeating it here.

When you watch an underfunded, under-manned D3 corps struggle through a show such that it hardly makes sense and surely isn't entertaining, do you boo or trash it on DCP?

I'm betting the answer is no. And I'm betting the reason is no matter how much much those kids struggled, you recognize this amateur activity isn't just about entertaining you, it's also about the effort expended by the performers. So, if nothing else, you give them polite applause and congrats for trying.

Why should D1 be different? My complaint with some of the criticism (and it is just some) is it doesn't differentiate enough between the concept and the peformance. It's too easy for some to generalize and to mock. And, let's be honest, it's too easy to villify individuals who differ not in their love for drum corps but only in matters of taste.

Be a critic. Criticism is often the first step to improvement (an evolutionary step, don't you think?). But be respectful too. Constructive criticism is the best way to affect change.

HH

Yes, it is the adults that create and design the show.  They are completely responsible for everything the members do.  During tour, the staff is god.  No sarcasm, that is pretty much true.

HOWEVER, when we are on the field rehearsing and performing, we OWN that show.  We become the show.  The performers end up taking the majority of the credit.  So you'd better believe it's insulting to the members when people trash the show, or the state of the activity.  I honestly do believe you when you say that your negativity is only aimed at the adults.  But it's pretty foolish to think that it isn't insulting to the performers.  This whole attitude of "my drum corps era was great and your era sucks and ruined everything" is very upsetting to a lot of people (myself included).  Can you blame us for that?  Not any more than I can blame you for cherishing the "good ol' days."

minor OT rant here. well..maybe not so OT.

many of the people who doas I do cross eras of DCI. I grew up on 72 AK, 75 Scouts. In my early teens it was Bayonne, 27th and BD.

late teens...my god.....87 SCV and Cadets...88 BD...

early twenties it was Star, cadets 93, Crossmen 92.

late 20's....SCV 97-98 cavies 98 etc

early 30's...Scv 00-, Boston 00, Spirit's ressurgence etc

I don't compare eras. I liked em all.

However now, I find amplification, the great stifled creativity killer...leading to shows that..well...lack creativity. Ok, not lack, just bore the #### out of people.

And I know many people who feel like I do.

I am sorry the members feel insulted, but maybe they should realzie....and not be brainwashed by their staffs that "people hate you" that yes, they do what they are told, but people can't help but hate what their staff gave them to do.

sorry....unless you specifically see a post that says "so and so sucked and couldnt march and played so bad dead people cried" then the kids are not being bashed.

Then remember this. If you are happy and proud and responsible enough to receive the accolades, you have to also be mature enough, bright enough , and capable to accept the fact that not everyone will like everything and "blind support" is fake and not realy respecting YOU and your efforts. I remember drum corps teaching ME to accept adversity, and be proud no matter what.......I think those key fundamentals still apply.

~G~

bravo. as stated before, IMO, it's the way the kids are told about the criticism that also hurts.

I won't mention names, but I heard it Allentown in June of 03. Corps director gathered the kids around and went over some numbers and the next days itenary.

a kid asked why the crowd wasn't yelling like last night.

the director's reply was "because they think YOU suck, and in their uneducated views YOU are ruining drum corps."

I almost #### myself. my whole group of friends all but joined me. We debated for 10 minutes whther to say something to the director or if we should just walk away.

funny, none of us has been back to a DCI show.

I asked this question in another thread today. I'm repeating it here.

When you watch an underfunded, under-manned D3 corps struggle through a show such that it hardly makes sense and surely isn't entertaining, do you boo or trash it on DCP?

I'm betting the answer is no. And I'm betting the reason is no matter how much much those kids struggled, you recognize this amateur activity isn't just about entertaining you, it's also about the effort expended by the performers. So, if nothing else, you give them polite applause and congrats for trying.

Why should D1 be different? My complaint with some of the criticism (and it is just some) is it doesn't differentiate enough between the concept and the peformance. It's too easy for some to generalize and to mock. And, let's be honest, it's too easy to villify individuals who differ not in their love for drum corps but only in matters of taste.

Be a critic. Criticism is often the first step to improvement (an evolutionary step, don't you think?). But be respectful too. Constructive criticism is the best way to affect change.

HH

even valid constrcutive criticisms, as well as pointing out reason why rules were passed...and never applied...gets you labeled as a kids hater.