East Coast Jazz going to D1?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mandarins became a D1 corps a couiple of years ago with about 80 members and quiclkly found out that being small and great in D2 doesn't work with the big boys. So, this year they had out 100 members plus they made the semi-final for the first time since going D1. This year was the biggest corps they ever had, which proves my point about size. Next year they're hoping to field a much larger corps which is needed if plans are to crack the top 12 soon. I'm convince if the Spartans & ECJ went up against the Mandarins this year, both would been about 8-10 points behind base on the product I saw on the field. Once again both corps are outstanding, I think Spartans, ECJ needs one more year in D2 before making that big jumps because a hate to see both finishing the season between 18-23 place the next 3 to 4 years, like some corps are presently doing now.

The Mandarins became a D1 corps a couiple of years ago with about 80 members and quiclkly found out that being small and great in D2 doesn't work with the big boys.  So, this year they had out 100 members plus they made the semi-final for the first time since going D1.  This year was the biggest corps they ever had, which proves my point about size.  Next year they're hoping to field a much larger corps which is needed if plans are to crack the top 12 soon.  I'm convince if the Spartans & ECJ went up against the Mandarins this year, both would been about 8-10 points behind base on the product I saw on the field.  Once again both corps are outstanding, I think Spartans, ECJ needs one more year in D2 before making that big jumps because a hate to see both finishing the season between 18-23 place the next 3 to 4 years, like some corps are presently doing now.

you cant possibly say that either would be 8-10 points behind. the shows were designed for different levels. the div II shows are designed to get general effect across to a smaller stadium like in Brockton MA. a div I show is designed to get across in satdiums like the Alamodome, the RCA Dome, J. Birney Crum and most importantly Gillette Staidum. no div II show could be looked at the same as a div I the only way to really know is if ecj or the spartans grow in numbers and move divisions.

Yes ECJ is ready for D1... NO they are NOT good enough for semi's. I think if they were in D1 this year they would fall right behind Magic. I also think this topic should end becuase the ECJ members are not gonna step down and I don't blame them because my corps was on the same boat our championship year. Good luck in 06 ECJ!

Nope, I'm not letting down.

I've always been defensive of any corps that get comments like this, where people think they can predict a corps future, or tell a corps that their show didn't please them. Every corps has it's own unique way to approach the drum corps activity. Just b/c it's not the way most corps apporach the activity or the way you would approach doesn't mean it will not work.No one here, not even most of the memebers of the corps, know what ECJ has planned for the future.

Spartans had more than 100 members this season

108 is what I counted I think.

Either way, great shows from both corps. :)

If most of you people would just read what I wrote before in the last post i put up. That we all know that its always hard for a first year corps making the step from DII to DI and we know this. So stop beating a dead horse. Get on with your lives, in most cases i think the decition has been make already and if people have a problem with that then you need to get a life.

Ok ill step off my soap box now, and for the record i know that Spartans have already said many times that they will never go DI. They are fine were they are.

Edited by ECJ_Tuba

While I've already stated my opinion on the corps, I must say that I haave to agree the debate should come to an end. The Judges thought ECJ did the best this year. Great! Awesome! They all did a great job with what they were given. The fans have varying opinions. IS that more important in some ways? Sure! Is what the judges said equally important? Yes!

ECJ can do what they like as far as division. Instead of debating about it (As I mistakenly encouraged) let's just wait to see what ECJ does in the future and find out what happens.

Sincerely

A Corps Member