Is DCI really for the kids?

how do you think that girl would have felt? this is all speculation of course, but if i was here and was being mentioned on tapes and being a cause of concern, i'd pull myself out...

and another thing i just thought of... what about the other 134 kids? you're concentrating on this girl, but should the other 134 "suffer" b/c of her? would drum corps be about them then?

Edited by Phantom&Phitch

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling had Pat S had that same dilemma face him while being in 1st place and responded the same way you would not have had a problem with it.

If I had alternates ready to plug in and I was running a corps who had a HIGH probability of winning a world championship, you had better believe I would plug in that alternate if someone else could not cut it, especially due to an injury.  Not replacing them when it seems obvious they are having troubles would bring everyone else down.

I thought Drum Corps was a family. Thats like shooting the dog when you have a better trained one and the old one is peeing on the carpet( ok maybe not but you understand what I mean. I'm sure there would have been an alternative to sending her home. How about talkig to her. Letting her alternate. Marching her in Quarters and working the pit in finals.

Something I never told anyone. I had started camps for Crossmen but had to drop out because of money. I ran into the Corps while they did performance in Wilmington. I asked Mr Robinsons if I could still march and he said, "sure you don't even have to pay". But at the end of the season When I asked about my DCI patch I was told I had to pay for the season.

The above post shows that you're only as good as your last performance. Once I have to re-valuate my stance, it's about special kids and winning. Anything else I should say.

I have a feeling had Pat S had that same dilemma face him while being in 1st place and responded the same way you would not have had a problem with it.

Nope. I'd have had a problem with it. Because I think drum corps ought to be about the kids; and I'd stand up for the member who won that spot. But that's just me. I don't stay for the scores...I didn't know what the scores were at Foxboro until I got home on Sunday night.

Clearly, I'm not as partisan as you. I quote Hop, and immediately, you're here, questioning the intent of my post. The best you've got is bringing up my Regiment affiliation? Really? That it'd be different if it was Regiment?

Try harder next time, OK? If Hop didn't want us knowing about that, he wouldn't have posted it to his blog. If it was Regiment, I'd be even harder on them, not that they'd be listening to me, anyway. I'm not a corps director...that's somebody else's job. But winning isn't everything. In fact, IMO, it's not anything, relatively speaking.

If I had alternates ready to plug in and I was running a corps who had a HIGH probability of winning a world championship, you had better believe I would plug in that alternate if someone else could not cut it, especially due to an injury.  Not replacing them when it seems obvious they are having troubles would bring everyone else down.

Well, that's you. It wasn't about that member, that suffered with that pain so she could be a Cadet. If it was her choice to leave, let her make it. She earned that spot...if she didn't earn it, why did she have it in the first place? And a cut at the end of July?

Sorry, I just don't agree with you. And about the other 134 kids...I though it was about team work? And camraderie? Apparently, if you are running in first place, and have a "high probability of winning a world championship," that stuff doesn't matter so much anymore. Or am I missing something?

The activity is not ONLY about the kids, but it is in part about the kids. How can it not be? I think the original post makes some good observations, but many of them highlight to me why it is in part about the kids.

It is dangerous to define drum corps by one element only, or to narrow the definition of what drum corps ought to be. Drum and Bugle corps is what it is, an activity for kids, adults, fans, alumni...you name it. The trick has always been to meet the needs of all, not to eliminate some of those needs in order to cater to the few. Some of you may think this is happening, and perhaps in some cases it is, but I feel most corps do a good job or reaching alumni, friends, fans, and their members.

To say that an 18 year old is an adult is true, but in this case it establishes a limit on learning. Can an 18 year old learn? Should an 18 to 20 year old marching drum corps still learn something and be educated by the staff, the music, the experience? Yes. If you believe this then whether they are 21, 18, or 14 the activity must always be in part about them. Their expeirence (one that they pay for), is just as important as the experience of the audience. If you think the audience is more important then you discount the importance of learning. Those who march drum corps are not robots, and they are not professionals yet. So adult-age or not the process is about learning (education), entertaining, and life.

In my opinion, the audience has just as much responsibility in terms of their support of the activity. Certainly they wish to be entertained, but I have always felt that they should also want to support the leaner/performer in what they do without holding them hostage to music and drill that meets their individual needs. To assume that all corps can meet "your" needs is to assume that all people have your taste in music and drill. It is difficult for every corps to please every fan in the stands, and I do believe every member of every corps is trying their best to please the fans, as well as become a better marcher and musician.

Drum and Bugle corps is education, artistry, powerful music, entertainment, and it's a collection of students, staff, fans, alumni, and support. There is no way to define it as one or the other, and to do so would limit the scope of its greatness.

Jonathan

How difficult WOULD it be to enter into a div. I corps while NOT being the best player in the entire world...Assuming you could make the monetary and time commitments, and came from a very solid HS program in which you played lead for 2 years, what would a higher level corps take into consideration? I hope I'm not bumping a dead topic, but after reading through, I'm rather discouraged since I plan on marching (currently, I'm a HS senior) and I'm definatly NOT first chair material (I play trumpet...I'm not BAD or a third part player by any means, but I'm not planning on becoming a performance or music major of any sort). I'm sure that I could hold up with every aspect of the marching...but it's the playing part that gets me...I'm trying to improve as much as possible before the camps but now I'm wondering whether or not to even show up for the corps I've watched and loved for along time.

I'm definatly NOT first chair material (I play trumpet...I'm not BAD or a third part player by any means,  but I'm not planning on becoming a performance or music major of any sort). I'm sure that I could hold up with every aspect of the marching...but it's the playing part that gets me...I'm trying to improve as much as possible before the camps but now I'm wondering whether or not to even show up for the corps I've watched and loved for along time.

Don't let some silly thread on DCP discourage you. Many members of Div. I corps are not music majors. Never underestimate the value of commitment, dedication, and hard work. You'd probably regret it if you didn't try, no?

how do you think that girl would have felt? this is all speculation of course, but  if i was here and was being mentioned on tapes and being a cause of concern, i'd pull myself out...

and another thing i just thought of...   what about the other 134 kids? you're concentrating on this girl, but should the other 134 "suffer" b/c of her? would drum corps be about them then?

Actually it's not just about the girl, you're right. But more about the way the situation was handled, that is the point I was making. :) Wondering do they "teach"...just a bad way to do it, imho.

Just take the time to have one on one with the person instead of cutting them, that's all I'm saying.

Edited by Lancerlady

It's obviously been quite a while since I marched AND was 18. However, some say I'm still not an adult.

Rocketman - Adulthood is a state of mind, I just happen to be in another state.

ampssuck

From reading Hop's blog on the subject of replacing a player with an alternate, it is clear it was a decision he hated having to make. I hope he handled it with all the care he could muster. But the truth is, sometimes tough decisions have to be made, and sometimes they hurt people you love.

I offer a sports analogy. Late in the game your starting centerfielder dives for a ball and injurs his leg. He earned the position as a starter, but he's obviously injured and moving slowly. The opposing team gets several base hits to center that would normally have been outs had the centerfielder been healthy. The lead is diminishing. The manager goes out to talk to the centerfielder who assures him that he'll be alright (he's a gamer, he wants to play) but the manager decides to make a change. There is a player on the bench, also a member of the team, who under the circumstances could do the job better. Everybody loves the starting centerfielder but for the best interest of the team (and probably the starting centerfielder's long term health) a change had to made. The manager is not a jerk, he's just doing what he had to do.

Edited by RobRoy

From reading Hop's blog on the subject of replacing a player with an alternate, it is clear it was a decision he hated having to make.  I hope he handled it with all the care he could muster.  But the truth is, sometimes tough decisions have to be made, and sometimes they hurt people you love.

I offer a sports analogy.  Late in the game your starting centerfielder dives for a ball and injurs his leg.  He earned the position as a starter, but he's obviously injured and moving slowly.  The opposing team gets several base hits to center that would normally have been outs had the centerfielder been healthy.  The lead is diminishing.  The manager goes out to talk to the centerfielder who assures him that he'll be alright (he's a gamer, he wants to play) but the manager decides to make a change.  There is a player on the bench, also a member of the team, who under the circumstances could do the job better.  Everybody loves the starting centerfielder but for the best interest of the team (and probably the starting centerfielder's long term health) a change had to made.  The manager is not a jerk, he's just doing what he had to do.

. . .but are you really suprised that some people made it out to be such a horrible thing?

Also, how do we know that this did not happen in a lot of other corps? Hopkins just seems to publicize his moves so much.

And yes, Festive, excuse if I think that maybe some people have more of a problem with this not becuase it happened, but because it involved Hoppy.