Most Powerful Hornline

Ok, I am sure this comes up often, but what horn lines do you recall simply being overwhelmingly powerful (with good sound).

I still think the old G bugles produced more controllable volume, but the lines that have stuck with me over the years are 86 SCV. BD may have had more talent, but SCV had the power.

89 regiment, gotta love that low brass.

who else?

Well, when you talk power in brass, I think you start with corps like Madison in the 70s, Muchachos 70s, and Spirit of Atlanta from 1978 to 1980 (the 1980 line supposedly broke the head phones of the recording engineer).

In the 80s I think SCV, Phantom, BD, Garfield all had great power and beautiful sounds, but Madison in 84, 85, and 88 really had some powerful lines. By 1988 Star of Indiana was proving to be as powerful or more so than anyone on the field.

Comes the 90s Star would not only re-define brass on the field, but their power was rarely rivaled. The 90, 91, and 92 lines were just incredibly powerful, and I cannot think of one horn line that was louder with more depth. They performed much differently in 1993.

From 1993 to now I think you have to look at BD, Madison, Cadets and Phantom. But you also have to look at the Bluecoats. Since the mid-1990s very few corps have had more power than the Bluecoats. BD was unreal in 1994, 1996 (the opening chord says it all), 1999, 2002 and 2003. Cadets were tough to top in power in 1998 and 2000, even 2001. Bluecoats from 2001 to now...holy cow. Madison in 1995 (which is obvious), 1997, and 1999. And Phantom Regiment in 1991, 1993, 1996, and 2003 - 2005.

Perhaps the loudest, yet well balanced, encore I have ever heard was Phantom Regiment in 1991 at Franklin Field at the University of Pennsylvania. My ears were ringing for days after that one.

1982 PR

1974 Muchachos

1980 Spirit

1989 PR

1988 BD

1975 Madison

1984 Garfield

1995 Madison

1985 Suncoast

2000 Cadets

Perhaps the loudest, yet well balanced, encore I have ever heard was Phantom Regiment in 1991 at Franklin Field at the University of Pennsylvania.  My ears were ringing for days after that one.

Why, thank you. :) I remember that encore.

This one essentially just made the rounds in another thread titled "The loudest hornline you ever heard"... B)

- 88 Blue Devils. They were probably a textbook example of how much louder a hornline sounds when they play in tune.

- 88 Velvet Knights. Just about blew my face off when they played the victory concert in Cheyenne, Wyoming (hope, I got the city right).

- 91 Blue Devils. I saw them do a victory concert somewhere in southern California that was stunning.

- 87 SCV. Finals in Madison. The closer was super loud and pretty much did all those things the judges say about connecting with the audience and "rising above the written material".

Phantom 1993, 2003 and 1989.

BD 1986, and 1998.

SCV 1988, 2002, 2004

Crown 2005

Cavies 2000, 1995

Cadets 1983.

~>conner

Perhaps the loudest, yet well balanced, encore I have ever heard was Phantom Regiment in 1991 at Franklin Field at the University of Pennsylvania.  My ears were ringing for days after that one.

Why, thank you.  :)  I remember that encore.

I was at that show with a drum corps newbie and she was blown away by you guys. She also loved Ventures, and Crossmen. I honestly forget who else was there except for the Cadets. Unlike me, she thought the picnic was cute. It was also Jersey Surf's first show (can't remember if they were judged or not).

1995 Madison was pretty loud.

04 Vanguard was also pretty loud