The South and Drum Corps

Are they burnt out?  All that time in summer and fall, all that time dedicated to marching, maybe they've had enough.  I don't know, I don't know that particular program, but burnout does happen.

Summer? Most high school bands have a majority of the summer free. They might have an occassional practice before their band camp, which is generally at the end of summer.

And even though those marching band kids in those highly competitive bands do march and rehearse more than kids in your average band, they don't march anywhere near the amount that drum corps kids do. Surely burn out isn't the problem? But, I guess after 3 or 4 years of strong competition on a regional and national level, it's possible.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so I have to chime in on this one. If it hadn't been for my band director who loved Spirit, and our student teacher (who happened to be Robin Wofford). I never would've know anything about drum corps. Our high school band was an excellent band always receving straight 1's in the day. Most of our high school band marched in the Memphis Blues.

I also know when certain East coast corps got wind of how good southern players/bands were they began their heavy recruitment of us players too.

My Band director, supported drum corps and encouraged it. He wanted me to go to Spirit but I was destined for 27.We were one of those bands that played just about everything Spirit, Bridgemen or SCV played! I remember we did a show where we played "Send in the Clowns" and the rifle players lifted up the trumpet soloist while he was playing it. Talk about some innovative stuff! :P :) Our band director used to throw DCI parties when they would show the whole corps show. All the kids would come over to his house with permission and watch DCI. 1980 that is where I first saw 27th and marveled at them, on the tv.

I knew I wanted to march but I was too young at the time like 14/15. I wasn't ready. My band director spent time with me, encouraged me and Robin Wofford approaced me at the right time and suggested I try out for Memphis Blues. I'm glad I did, I made it on French Horn at 16. The rest is as they say history.

I credit my career in drum corps to my band directors and Robin Wofford. He now has daughters marching in Spirit. I am glad he is continuing on in his support and encourages kids to march he teaches now too. I will never forget what Robin and Mr. Edge did for me as a student.

I feel for kids whose band directors discourage them from marching, I don't know why any would do that. And they wouldn't care if I was late for band camp cause they knew I'd pick it up in a day..(which I did) and that is a fact. Drum corps teaches to learn drill and other things you need to do. It really bothers me when band directors whom have their own personal reasons for disliking the activity do some of the crazy things they do to make sure their kids don't march drum corps.

Wow..talk about "thought police". I just don't get that way of thinkingl

I work with one of the top H.S. band in Alabama. We have a failr simple policy with kids marching corps. It's an individual basis, the assitant was in Troopers pit back in the 80's , I (I'm the consultant, visual guy) did Blue Stars, the head director is just starting to like drum corps (clarinet player). It is a the attitude of the student that allows them to go tour or not. If we think the kid can't handel the summer, it's a no.

This policy has changed, it use to be a "NO" from the director (different one, same assistant) but I lied and said I was moving away ( I was a part of Spirit in 95) then came back. That is how I got arround things. When the director realized I was a better player and had a better attitude, he let people go tryout.

Somebody said that most bands in the south are pertty average...... Yep. Alabama has a few decent bands but their is really no powerhouse marching bands. The larger programs in the state (Grissiom, Austin... who I'm with , Pelham) would be lucky to make finals at a BOA regional. As a matter of fact, there is only two smaller (but very good )programs in this state that does the BOA regional in Atlanta (Walker, Muscle Sholes). For the most part, it is still the good ole' boy system in this state at marching contest. Basically, Alabama is a concert band state with some older directors at top programs.

Younger directors in Alabama are starting to pop up, many of the old school directors in this state are gone or are leaving soon. With the colleges in this state that put out director (JSU, UNA... a very FINE band (Ian Moyer is the asst. director and Madison pitt person, Alabama, Troy and Auburn) three schools are drum corps heavy and the two major ones are not as much. Things are changing around in Alabama but the bad pay might run some of the young talent off. If they do stick around, I do see more high school kids in this state joining corps in the future.

Summer?  Most high school bands have a majority of the summer free.  They might have an occassional practice before their band camp, which is generally at the end of summer.

And even though those marching band kids in those highly competitive bands do march and rehearse more than kids in your average band, they don't march anywhere near the amount that drum corps kids do.  Surely burn out isn't the problem?  But, I guess after 3 or 4 years of strong competition on a regional and national level, it's possible.

Most high school bands? Maybe. Most super-competetive/corps style bands? Maybe not. I can't speak for every program but I know of alot that have regular rehearsals during the summer. Like 2 times a week or something like that. Then a week of band camp in late July or early August, then a few more weeks of rehearsals either 5 days a week or 2 or 3 or something like that, and then school starts! Then it's rehearse for an hour or so during the school day (3 to 5 times each week, depending on the kind of schedule the school has) and then evening rehearsals a few times a week. And then the real fun begins on weekends! Friday night football games, then Saturdays go perform at competitions! Marching band state championships here in Michigan are usually at the end of October, but if it's a BOA band then the season still isn't over yet, they have about 2 more weeks to go! What if the school has a winterguard or an indoor drumline? Then the fun continues all the way to April if you want it to!!

It's a pretty big commitment, it's alot of time. The kids really have to be passionate about what they're doing. If your band has a schedule like the one I just described, you might understand. I know of some bands that have schedules like the above, I know they don't all do.

Drum Corps is for kids who are passionate about marching/playing/spinning, not necessarily the most talented marchers/players/spinners (and yes, that includes high school kids, thank you very much!). Certainly not all, but some kids may burn out and lose the passion if they've done it a long time.

If it helps any. I went to Pope (ya know the school next to Lassiter) and now go to college in Atlanta. Although I've lived in Georgia my entire life a couple friends convinced me to go march at Glassmen. At my high school you couldn't march drum corps and do marching band, but a group of us decided to march after we graduated. I know some people who went to Crown, Phantom, Cadets, Glassmen, Spirit...and I'm sure some others.

Now as for Lassiter, I'm sure it's the same way. My bf went there and was one of the best players in the state, but when he went to try out for Spirit he said it just wasn't for him.

As for college bands. There are about 5 in the band that I march in.  Only 2 currently, the rest just did one year somewhere like myself.

Any questions, I'd love to answer.

Melissa

Glassmen '03

Melissa makes some real good points here.

As the former recruiting chairman for the CorpsVets, I've seen lots of serious prejudice against drum corps, both in the senior and junior activity.

I've had band directors show extreme prejudice both against junior and senior corps in my recruiting. Fortunately, there have been the few that have been welcoming and glad to hear from us and help us recruit. However, the majority have been unwelcoming and cold.

There is a serious thread of prejudice running in band director circles against drum corps here in the South. I'm from Louisiana, and the last time I spoke with a few band directors, for some odd reason, in their mind, drum corps was stuck at some point in the early 70's/Late 60's. I had one that thought Valve-Rotor was still the standard in drum corps today!

When I began to recount the repetoires, the athleticism, and the values taught, many were very surprised. It's almost as if they went to a competition or two in high school or early in their careers, saw some things they didn't like, and in their minds Drum Corps became stuck right there and hasn't progressed an inch.

Add on top of that the stereotypes (earned, mind you) of senior corps, and you've got one he-double hockey sticks of a job recruiting for a senior corps as well. People think it's some kind of drunken brawl with a soundtrack, and refuse to come out and be a part. In fact, were the local seniors able to draw that sort of local talent from the high schools (CV and Alliance both recruit under 18), it would be a boon to southern senior corps.

As for the Junior corps recruiting issues, the thing that alarms me probably more than anything is a kids unwillingness to march anywhere but his "target" corps in search of a ring. Many will go and try out for one of the top 6, and if they either don't make it or can't afford the summer, they won't march ANYWHERE. That, IMO, is the crime.

Whatever one does, they should find the opportunity to march.

If you're fortunate enough to be able to march in high school, go out for your local drum corps. Get your feet under you, and then if you so desire tryout for one of the top corps. In any event, MARCH. If you can't afford that, find a local II/III. If even their schedule is too much for you, then look to one of the local weekend/all age/DCA corps. There's a new movement in minicorps that can also provide a great experience.

Point is, everyone should have the opportunity to march. I'd be the last one to tell a director he's being unfair, whether I believe it or not. These guys have one of the hardest jobs in the world out there. They are presented with a whole new group of kids each and every year, and continue to put out great bands and carry great programs year after year.

I hold, though, that the drum corps experience in high school (contrary to the opinion stated here earlier) can be a great benefit to band programs across the country. I think that the elements of responsibility and attention to detail, managing one's own affairs as an adult, playing their instruments with excellence. Any director not wishing to have these qualities in his kids is missing out.

Sure, there are the odd few that return with an attitude, but they are much easier to handle and discipline because they understand and respond to discipline. They have *LIVED* a life of discipline over the summer months, and respect that lifestyle.

I've had band directors confide in me that they are intimidated sometimes when these kids return to their programs because they actually know more about the marching arts than the directors themselves do, and they don't want to be upstaged by the youth.

I know it was somewhat of a ramble, but these are just a few of the things I've encountered as a music major, musician, recruiting guy, and drum corps marcher in the South over the last few years. I hope these observations have added something.

I respectfully disagree with your assertions,  My son started in The Cadets when he was 13 years old (8th grade) and has just completed his sixth season with them at age 19.  In fact he was the most tenured member of the corps this year and the only remaining member from the 2000 season.  It has been wonderful for him so far (2 years remaining - a 2007 age out).

Wow! The way things are these days, that's pretty awesome. ^OO^

Personally, I can't think of much that would be a better influence on a high school kid than being in a drum & bugle corps ... there's some things that might provide kind of a similar experience, but if you're gonna tell me that high school kids shouldn't be marching, you're going to have to come up with a darn good reason why not.

I've had band directors confide in me that they are intimidated sometimes when these kids return to their programs because they actually know more about the marching arts than the directors themselves do, and they don't want to be upstaged by the youth.

I suspect that the above is a major reason why some band directors don't allow their students to march drum corps, although they may not admit as much. I think this is possible no matter what part of the country.

I teach in the South (West Monroe, Louisiana) and marched in Regiment 1987. We have a large and very fine program here with 36+ years of tradition and excellence. I remember when I got back to college after marching drum corps. It was such a "culture shock," so to speak. After a couple of days of college band rehearsal, I was disgusted. I wanted things to be just like they were in Regiment, in terms of personal commitment and dedication. It just wasn't there, and it was a good band. I wanted to quit. It took me quite some time to realize that marching band was not drum corps and I shouldn't try to make it that way. I was fine after that, and band was fun again. There are so many things that make drum corps unique, such as the dedication, rehearsal time, number of staff, etc. The focus of drum corps is competition. The focus of high school band should be education. I've taught many band camps at the high school level where members had marched drum corps and had just arrived back at their respective high school. Like me, it was difficult for them to divorce themselves from the drum corps mindset. They wanted it to be like drum corps. Yes, they could march. Yes, they had chops. Yes, they were dedicated. And channeled in the right way they could be a tremendous asset to the program. Some were. But too often I saw students who were disillusioned with the high school band once they got back from corps, not because their band was bad, but because it was simply a different animal, with a different focus. Sure, high school bands get their design and show ideas and even fundamental teaching techniques from drum corps in the "trickle down" sort of way. That is great, and it should always be this way. But a student in your program who is a corps veteran and comes in with a mindset that the high school band experience should be equal to their drum corps experience is a potential hazard and hindrance to the overall growth of the program and morale of it's musicians. Some young people can handle this difference very well and be a great asset, but I agree with a previous post that stated that it is a rare student indeed. Perhaps for the majority of students, marching a very competitive drum corps should be something they experience as a college student. Just my humble opinion.

P.S. - I have no experience with Div. II or Div. III corps, so this may or may not apply to them

Not to mention great College Bands such as JSU, FSU, Troy, UGA, LSU, Bama, etc.  What would it take to build an elite drum corps in the South and will there ever be a corps from the South to crack the top 5 in the future?

Can't BELIEVE you forgot UNT! Only THE music school in the south :P

Seriously, 90 percent of the kids in the UNT band have been in corps. And 99 percent of the drumline has (thank you Paul Rennick)!

Half of our corps is from below the Mason-Dixon line.

In 2003, I believe we had 16 people in The Cadets from the University of South Carolina alone....not just the state of South Carolina.