The Official 2006 Repertoire Suggestion Thread

No rehashes! It inevitably causes comparisons to romanticized memories of great shows of the past.....

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No rehashes!  It inevitably causes comparisons to romanticized memories of great shows of the past...

Thanks to videos and DVDs, the memories of past shows don't have to be "romanticized." Nothin' wrong with liking the older version more ... back when they used to play relatively straightforward arrangements without all this musical hack'n'slash that's been the rage for most of the past decade. B)

cadets-same path different tunes , stay weird.

Cavies-something spacey so we watch that drill. ( no ladders )

phantom -orff, or sparticus again

Blue devils -some jazz please.

bluecoats-a corps without a musicall identity. maybe big band?

Madison -I feel malaquena coming , sorry.

Crown -???? another identity less corps. josh Groban. maybe les mis , something harder .

Vanguard -I stay stay russian , great show . bad drill.

Boston -conquest the whole thing. castile

Blue knights.- good drill , good brass, good drums , good guard. PLEASE play something different.

everything sounds the same since the cartoon show . take a little chance.

Glassmen -popular classical seems like a good fit.

Spirit.- georgia.

crossmen -metheney , chick corea , soemthing with a groove . be THE JAZZ corps.

cadets-same path different tunes , stay weird.

Cavies-something spacey so we watch that drill. ( no ladders )

phantom -orff, or sparticus again

Blue devils -some jazz please.

bluecoats-a corps without a musicall identity.  maybe big band?

Madison -I feel malaquena coming , sorry.

Crown -???? another identity less corps.  josh Groban. maybe les mis , something harder .

Vanguard -I stay stay russian , great show . bad drill.

Boston -conquest the whole thing. castile

Blue knights.- good drill , good brass, good drums , good guard. PLEASE play something different.

everything sounds the same since the cartoon show . take a little chance.

Glassmen -popular classical seems like a good fit.

Spirit.- georgia.

crossmen -metheney , chick corea , soemthing with a groove . be THE JAZZ corps.

The Cadets have always been a little wierd, and I love it.

As for the Bluecoats, the corps USED to have an identity as just what you said--if you go back to the PBS broadcast of about '89 I think they even say something like "we're going to hear that patented Bluecoats Big Band sound!".

The 'Coats are still a corps trying to figure itself out. They don't have the history of the other groups in this year's top 6. So I think they're trying to figure out what works and what will keep them up there. Doug Thrower is a smart cat and as such I think the music will be in good hands.

On that note, I don't care what anyone plays as long as I get more high notes, more BD sopranos (sorry, youngins) standing on one leg playing double C, more drumlines leaning back and trying to break stuff, more horn spins and more company fronts with horns to the box and toes on the front sideline. Someone is inevitably going to march really fast and play a million random notes and melody-less chord progressions and deserve to win, but in the meantime, i want to get my face ripped off.

Don't these young kids have all the Maynard records by the time they're 15? I'll be glad to make a few copies....

For real ... more than any other style change that any corps has undergone over the past several years, I miss the Bluecoats and their big band style the most. - :whistle: - And I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone, judging by all the posts suggesting that they play Gordon Goodwin or the music from "The Incredibles" or whatnot. I would think they can still be competitive without totally abandoning their big, loud, swingin' identity, huh? Of course, I also miss the lack of jazziness from Blue Devils and Spirit, too.

Edited by Orpheus

For real ... more than any other style change that any corps has undergone over the past several years, I miss the Bluecoats and their big band style the most. - :whistle: - And I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone, judging by all the posts suggesting that they play Gordon Goodwin or the music from "The Incredibles" or whatnot.  I would think they can still be competitive without totally abandoning their big, loud, swingin' identity, huh?  Of course, I also miss the lack of jazziness from Blue Devils and Spirit, too.

Hey, if Phantom can do it.... B)

How about Phantom playing some Bruckner? Put 'em in black, and let loose the dogs of war!

phantom, orff, black unis, dark sounds, and speed.....

sounds like a good recepie for success if you ask me!

'Tis a shame that the Orff estate has pretty much killed all hope of a Carmina Burana show.....