Have you noticed?

More people are interested in at least watching Marching Bands than you would think.

And most people would rather something they could relate to.

I'm just saying more people would tune in to watch Marching Band than to watch Drum Corps.(those not savvy to the activity)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree with the above statement.

at my high school, people actually get engaged into marching band. They LIKE to watch us perform. And then when they actually watch a drum corps perform, imagine what some people would think.

~>conner

I think 2 cool VK is right on point. What are the big difference between DrumCorps and a good marching band. We no longer have sopranos, baritone bugles, and contra basses. Most of the people who write music and drill for drum corps during the summer, write music and drill for band in the fall. The same kids that march band in the fall do drum corps in the summer. I used to hate when people called drum and bugle corps a marching band. But as drum corps evolves , maybe our thinking has to also.

The Big Differences between a good Marching Band and a Drum and Bugle Corps:

1. Drum Corps- Summer. Band- Fall

2. Drum Corps- No Woodwinds. Band- Woodwinds ( except at I and E )

3. Drum Corps- Better performance level top to bottom?

4. Could the good people of DCP help me out here?

Edited by boxingfred

2CoolVK:  If you keep making so much sense.  Some people on this board are going to have a nervous break-down.

I think it's alot like people who go listen to a band at some hole-in-the-wall bar and think they're hearing the "next big thing".  These people go buy the band's CD and listen to it for month's and tell their friends about how great this new band is that no one knows about.  Then, to their dismay, the band actually makes it big, gets on the radio, and noweveryone listens to them.  They now have to share the band that was "theirs" with the world, and it's not so cool anymore.  Drum Corps is starting to make it big and these people don't want to share; they'll disguise it by saying "well, sure it's on ESPN now, but it's advertised as marching band", just to protect "their" precious drum corps.

See.......they don't want drum corps to make it to the mainstream. "Drum Corps is still a mystery"

Thanks for playing, you opinion is noted and respected, as wrong as it may be.

~G~

It's so easy to bat other peoples comments out of the air.

Let's list the differences between Drum Corps and marching band.

Edited by boxingfred

There are a lot of High School Band people who don't know what Drum Corps is.

The simple quick way that I explain it is, "The highest idiom of the marching arts, but only with brass, percussion and guard."

How about this…?

Music so powerful it might rip your face off. Movement with such speed, beauty and precision it makes the Marine honor guard hide in shame. Drum lines playing with such intensity your hair will stand on end. Don’t call this marching band, this is drum and bugle corps!!!

How about this…?

Music so powerful it might rip your face off. Movement with such speed, beauty and precision it makes the Marine honor guard hide in shame. Drum lines playing with such intensity your hair will stand on end.  Don’t call this marching band, this is drum and bugle corps!!!

That works! I like it! ^OO^