Have you noticed?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'd be cool. Let's hope that it happens... It'd let people who are just tuneing in to watch ESPN 2 know what it really is.

As if they care.

But I know I would.

~>conner

i think it'd be very educational to do so since DCi is supposed to be about education

ESPN has nothing to do with the ads.  Extreme Marching band is probably the best way to attract anyone remotely interested in the program that isn't already a fan.  If your jib is to try to get viewers to watch based on a single comparison - band would be it.  To a casula viewer - we're just a really good marching band. 

We all really need to get over the marching band comparison thing.  Face it....what we do is A LOT like larching band as much as we don't like or want to admit it. 

We're all trying to distance ourselves from marching bands.  Why?  Because most all of us were in one at one time or another and we were considered the geeks of the school.  It was uncool for most of us to be in band in HS, so drum corps is our answer.  In drum corps, at least we're cooler than HS bands. 

By putting down HS bands, we only expose our own insecurities with what we're into. 

So, if a newspaper calls a drum corps a band, or ESPN advertises band on steroids or whatever - we shouldn't get so bent out of shape.  If we really think we're cooler and better than bands, than we should be able to let people's ignorance about drum corps slide a little.  We come off as the ignorant ones when we jump all over non-corps people for making an honest mistake. 

With that said, drum corps rules and thank you to anyone who ever marched in a HS or college band to allow the wacky activity to exist in the first place.

:lol::lol::whistle::lol::lol::lol:

He is absolutely right! There are a LOT of FMMs who are WAY too sensitive when it comes to a stupid name. Who cares what you call it? (They'll respond, "I CARE!!!") It is just a name. Lighten up...and yes, you SHOULD get over it, IMO...

It is just plain STUPID to fuss so much about the name of our activity. I feel stupid right now, having to tell you this. Be adults, for goodness sakes! If any Joe-Shmoe were to watch a drumcorps performance, and you didn't tell them what they were called, they would say, "Hey, cool marching band! I had a friend who played drums in a band once..." or something to that effect. (this has actually happened to me...) Drumcorps is almost exactly the same as marching band. Only the key of the instruments is diff.....no, wait....only the number of valves is....hmm..no, wait...um......Well, we don't have woodwinds!! (yet...) :lol:

Well, I stand corrected about the no mention of music.  That's what I get for trying to do that post while my wife was complaining about the pictures we just got back...very distracting.  So, you are correct that there is mention of music in the definitions of band.

The word corps (or corp) still does mean "A body of persons acting together or associated under common direction," and "A group of people combined into or acting as one body."  I do think those terms fit as well.

The definition as it applies to corp is irrelevant considering corp is an abbreviation for corporation and corps is not. That's like giving the definition of their for there

Guest DrumCorpFan
The definition as it applies to corp is irrelevant considering corp is an abbreviation for corporation and corps is not.  That's like giving the definition of their for there

Once again, DrumCorpsFan is ALREADY TAKEN. I can't have it. I tried when I first registered and I tried again last week. Someone is using it so, like it or not, I am keeping DrumCorpFan. Get over it or don't get over it. Like it of be mad about it. Call me a hypocrite or understand it. I don't care.

I'M KEEPING IT!

Are we clear?

Good.

Once again, DrumCorpsFan is ALREADY TAKEN.  I can't have it.  I tried when I first registered and I tried again last week.  Someone is using it so, like it or not, I am keeping DrumCorpFan.  Get over it or don't get over it.  Like it of be mad about it.  Call me a hypocrite or understand it.  I don't care.

I'M KEEPING IT!

Are we clear?

Good.

Well, your username is irrelevant to the conversation as well and was not what I was talking about. I am simply refering to comparing the definition of corp(oration) to a drum corps. Didn't mean to get your undergarments all twisted.

Guest DrumCorpFan
Well, your username is irrelevant to the conversation as well and was not what I was talking about.  I am simply refering to comparing the definition of corp(oration) to a drum corps.  Didn't mean to get your undergarments all twisted.

Sorry if I got frustrated, but some people have been critical of me using 'corp' instead of 'corps.' When I found that corp. could be used to mean a body acting as one, I felt that did describe a corps.

On one site I am using DrumCorpsFan27, maybe I can get that one here.