• Jet Tone
    • Benge
    • Al Cass
    • other

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Kanstul (the lone ranger so far).  I play one of their mellophones and I use the matched mouthpiece that Kanstul sells for the horn.  I have found it to be very comfortable, and great from an endurance standpoint.  I am curious about what anyone else uses to play one of their mellophones, especially if you can compare your experience to playing the horn on a Kanstul mouthpiece.

BENGE ALL THE WAY!!!!  Although...the whole merging thing happened and now it's UMI all the way!  UMI mello mouthpieces RULE!!!!!

I used to use a Benge mello 6, this year I got a UMI mello 6.

Considering they merged, I thought they'd be the same... boy was I mistaken.  I have a nicer sound with the UMI, and it's much easier to play on than the Benge.

Although I'd like one that helps with the upper register a little better.

Thank you blaringbrass for putting in this calibrated poll. Asking a lot in this topic as it is not broken down by instrument, but I do enjoy seeing the bar graph and percentages. Kinda hard to list more such as Marcinkiewicz, Kanstul, Curry....

Cozy     Forum Moderator

Cozy Chops

The only mouthpiece I will ever use from now on is a Bob Reeves 42C.. it's similar in shape to a Bach 3C, but is a bit shallower.. and the rim is WIDE and comfortable. We used them last year (Cadet trumpets 01) and we're going to again this year.. definitely worth my $80. Before that I was all over Marcinkiewicz mpcs... but the rims are sharp compared to the Reeves.

Alan

I've heard a lot of good things about the GR trumpet mouthpieces. If I didn't like my Monette MF-II so much, I'd try one. I have played on all of the other mouthpieces in the poll and some others not listed, at one time or another. IMHO, Monette is far superior in design, light-years ahead of any mouthpiece I've ever played on in the last 35 years. As a matter of fact, Monette is making a custom mouthpiece for me right now. It will be similar to the one Maynard Ferguson plays on, an MF-II with a 19 throat. I can't wait to try it out! :)

No, not at all. The MF-II is a departure from Maynard's mouthpieces of the past. It has a very shallow cup with a 23 throat. The cup transitions into the throat very abruptly ala a Parduba double-cup. The result is a VERY open feeling with a BIG sound in ALL registers! It's a great mouthpiece for playing lead , especially outdoors. Projection is impressive. I'm getting one with a 19 throat mainly because I have to do a lot of playing in the extreme upper register at very loud dynamic levels! I also like how the MF-II works with the horns I play on. A Flip Oakes/Kanstul Wild Thing Bb Trumpet, and a Kanstul Powerbore G Bugle. Besides myself, there are currently 5 other lead sops in the Renegades who play on a MF-II, as well as a few others who play on other Monettes, plus, all of our Sop 2s & 3s play on a Bach 3C. I'm still in the process of converting the other leads to a Monette!