• Jet Tone
    • Benge
    • Al Cass
    • other

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the big sound you talk about a dark one? I am assuming its pretty bright with a a shallow cup and all. and how much do one of those bad boys cost?

Right now I'm playing in "Guys & Dolls". The book calls for a wide variety of sounds. The range is from a low G to an E above High C. I have no problem changing my sound whether its a mid register ballad or a wide open latin piece like "Havana". I wouldn't use this mouthpiece for playing any legit stuff, though. For that, I use a Mark Curry gold-plated Wild Thing 3. But, when I am teaching a private lesson and have to demonstrate something to my student out of Arban's, etc., I feel comfortable playing it on the MF-II. The price for a new MF-II is $195. Used ones run anywhere from $125-$150.

I would like to get a new flugelhorm mpc because mine is wearing out, but not sure what quite to buy. Right now i play on a yamaha 12f3d flugel mpc  the rim is a little too small/tight for me and would like some thing with a darker sound. I was thinking about the shew flugel mpc as a possiblity because i have the shew jazz motuhpiece and i love that thing. Any suggestons?

First of all, I'm a trombone player - that should help the following make more sense =P

I currently play on a Denis Wick 4AL.  I switched over from a Bach 5G, and I don't think I'll ever go back to Bach.  The Wick is just surprisingly free-blowing and feels so good on the face - both probably due to the fact that it's a mouthpiece made primarily for Euphoniums.  It gives me such a unique sound that works perfectly for my situation - I'm the second trombone in my school's Wind Symphony.  The sound I can get with that thing really sits nice in between the Bass and the Principal - gives the section a big fat middle, kinda like me =P

Of course, on my Bb baritone bugle... it's like chocolate.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have played tuba for 5 years now and the best mpc. for me is a gold plated Marcinkiewicz 4H. This thing is deeper than a canyon. But mam i love it. It costs about 80 bucks and then another 80 for gold. Totaly worth it. I also play tumpet (i know a tuba and tumpet player it's odd) and i like to use a 3c on my xeno. The one that comes with the horn is great.

I play contra and I have been playing on the Helleberg since 98. Personally for me while the mouthpiece isn't as flexible as many other out ther eon the market it gives me a wonderful focused sound in all registers. I Am playing on the Conn still, since UMI took it over the new MPC's aren't just up to what the original ones were, each one I have tried has played different....weird. I had the gold custom at a music shop that a buddy of mine works at. It is a much softer gold then you are going to get from the factory and it feels like a pillow when you put it on your face. It also has a few more layers of gold too. Thats my personal preference playing contra, I think everyone has thier own. For now I'll stick to what I know.

^0^

I love Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces! They are so comfortable and give great endurance. They produce a nice sound and are good on both the upper and lower registers. A good all around mouthpiece!

I also like Schilke mouthpieces.