Finals Placement as an Overall Goal

I would assume that "ensuring that every kid performs to the best of their abilities" would in fact be the goal of any director. In 100 tries, that kid probably falls once, so I'd have to say that falling down isn't performing the best that you can. Certainly he didn't fill his ultimate potential.

I know that if I fell down I'd be ######, and I can't imagine enjoying the fact that someone is still pointing and laughing about it. If kids feeling bad for their performance on the field (i.e. not making finals) is such a problem for you, then that picture needs to come off your signature.

Of course, you defended your picture, suggesting that this kid most likely just took it in stride, and didn't let it get him down. Using your own logic then, why can't a member do the same, if his corps doesn't make finals? Now even your words are telling us different things.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the term "mocking" is a bit harsh. I think of it more as teasing.

And yes, I wouldn't mind being teased for a blunder I made at a show (even finals). In fact, it's happened before.

Of course, you defended your picture, suggesting that this kid most likely just took it in stride, and didn't let it get him down.  Using your own logic then, why can't a member do the same, if his corps doesn't make finals?  Now even your words are telling us different things.

I think one mistake is a lot easier to get over than not achieving your goal for the season.

And if it bothers you all that much, I'll take it down. It would appear that we have different tastes of humor.

And no personal offense taken.

I think the term "mocking" is a bit harsh.  I think of it more as teasing.

And yes, I wouldn't mind being teased for a blunder I made at a show (even finals).  In fact, it's happened before.

You've been a member of a corps that has won more DCI titles than anyone...a corps that strives for perfection, and you've made a MAJOR mistake at DCI finals?

Sorry...as a member of a top 12 corps for 4 years, no one in my corps...NO ONE...would take a blunder so lightheartedly as you are. We had more self discipline than that. The only way we'd laugh about it is if we actually won the title even while someone made the huge blunder.

Mocking, teasing...same thing.

I think it's senseless to beat yourself up (even moreso to beat someone else up) about one mistake that has come and gone. I don't think lessons in "discipline" teach you to do that. Discipline is about keeping a strong mentality, not letting one mistake weaken it.

They still had a great season. I bet they had the time of their lives, even despite the "MAJOR mistake".

edit: The way kids can laugh about these mistakes is that they knew they went out there and gave it their all. Yes, even the guy that fell gave it his all, despite what some may think. There's a difference between giving it your all and being perfect. Likewise, you can still give it your all and not win! It has nothing to do with winning. As long as you gave it your all, you can laugh about the small things.

Edited by Penguin

I think the term "mocking" is a bit harsh.  I think of it more as teasing.

Ryan, I think you need to consider a career in politics!

:P

I have a feeling that kid doesn't feel like he's a failure because he accidentally fell.  I'm sure he's laughing about it.  If anyone can prove me wrong, then I will humbly apologize for exacerbating his emotional wounds.

If the Blue Devils' corps director's responsibility was to "Ensure that kids don't fall over during the surprise ending on finals night", then this kid might feel like a failure.  Just as if if the goal was to "ensure that [insert drum corps here] maintains its highly competitive placing with Drum Corps International by placing withing the top 12 at the annual DCI World Championship Finals", and the corps doesn't make the top 12, they might feel like they have failed, or have not filled their potential, or have not been successful.

I have never witnessed a more rediculous thought process. Let's all stop setting goals for fear that we might not achieve them, for anything short is a FAILURE.

Come on! That is BS. You set a goal that is appropriate for YOUR SITUATION and you go for it. If you don't make it you strap them back on and try again, and again, and again.

I have never witnessed a more rediculous thought process.  Let's all stop setting goals for fear that we might not achieve them, for anything short is a FAILURE. 

Come on! That is BS.  You set a goal that is appropriate for YOUR SITUATION and you go for it.  If you don't make it you strap them back on and try again, and again, and again.

So in other words, you believe that it is a good idea to set finals placements as a corps goal? Great! Super.