DCI on ESPN2...

Crazy reactions in this thread..... SCV is my favorite corps, they won't be highlighted in the ESPN broadcast, big frickin' deal. Yeah DCI could "right the wrong" but then we'll have a load of Bluecoat fans in here griping that SCV is getting preferential treatment since Blooo got the screw last year. DCI set the precident when they went to this format, they #### well better stick with it. We have enough complaints of favoritism without adding fuel to the fire.

Edited by Machine

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the big deal? It's not like they're showing "full" shows or anything.

There will be me more "behind" the scenes spots like last year, you know to Promote and get the word out to those kids who want to march. It's not about "You" the fan..remember?

So how long are the clips for the top 8 corps going

to be on the broadcast? I remember way back in the

day when they would do the "highlights" show

and you would get a good 7-8 minutes of each

corps and then a full show for the champion.

Just because it has been done that way in the past doesn’t make it right! This is not a live broadcast! There is absolutely no reason to show corps as they placed in semis. Even worse is the posters. Why wasn’t SCV on the poster featuring the 8th place corps? Didn’t they place 8th? Do they really believe that the viewing public is wringing their hands as the scores are announced! The members busted their butts and put on a great performance. The corps should be treated with the respect they earned! If DCI wants the live feel, then broadcast it live! If they only have an hour timeslot then only show the top 3 corps in their entirety. Fill the rest of the time with their behind the scenes stuff, snippets of the other 9 corps and end it with the last 3 scores being announced.

I like this ad much better, even though my beloved SCV (on the ad) is not there. I am glad they didn't call it "extreme marching band" :P (oops wrong thread).

I wonder why it's not done in how they place in finals? :whistle:

They did this same thing to Bluecoats last year.

Edited by Lancerlady

In case anyone is interested...ESPN has published repeat dates for the broadcast:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/keyword/search?se...ing=dci&page=tv

September 20, 3:00 PM EDT

September 23, 2:00 PM EDT

"Drum Corp International World Championships showcase the pinnacle of athleticism and musical skill in the final contests of the DCI 2005 Summer Music Games. Competing for top honors are the finest drum, musical and color guard competitors from across the country."

QT

Edit: I Added the program discription.

Edited by QuentinTarantino

Hey, ptr250 -- go back and read all the posts from a year ago about the 'Coats not getting a top-six share of the '04 broadcast. It's all been said before. It's not like any corps is gonna have their whole performance shown, anyhow. I doubt it'll hurt SCV's recruiting or fundraising or anything. And I also doubt SCV's members and supporters will let this have a negative impact on their memories of this past season. There's worse things in the world.

Hey, ptr250 -- go back and read all the posts from a year ago about the 'Coats not getting a top-six share of the '04 broadcast.  It's all been said before.  It's not like any corps is gonna have their whole performance shown, anyhow.  I doubt it'll hurt SCV's recruiting or fundraising or anything.  And I also doubt SCV's members and supporters will let this have a negative impact on their memories of this past season.  There's worse things in the world.

Then the problem should have been rectified last year! Do they really think anyone believes they are watching a live broadcast? Oh and anyone who feels ESPN2 is a better outlet than PBS is living in dreamland. ESPN2 in not on most cable standard packages. You have to subscribe to one of the premium packages. PBS is included in all basic services. As far as PBS not treating DC fairly it’s DC fault! At one time you could see all of finals in its entirety. These broadcasts were tied to the stations pledge drives. Not enough DC fans pledged and many would call in and then not follow through. I guess you get what you pay for.

I guess you get what you pay for.

...which is the entire country finally seeing drum corps all at one time (in prime time, no less) on a real network that doesn't decide to show it according to their whim. PBS, when the live broadcast presentation ended, sucked. You were lucky if you got to see it Labor Day.

I think SCV kicked ### this year...but facts are facts: they didn't make the show. I'm sure if the roles were reversed that some BAC folks would be upset too.

However, as they say... this too shall pass.

Enjoy the show for what it is, buy the individual SCV DVD, or the entire Top 12. Buy the CD's and listen to how great the show was musically.

After all, next season is only a few months away. We'll all have something different to be ###### about by then. :P

Edited by bawker