DCI on ESPN2...

<snip>

Heh, so you're saying all it takes is money?  Well then all the crusty vets who whine for full shows should donate some of this money that they keep bragging about, when they they get up in arms about the current state of the activity.  ^0^

You know, I've never thought about that - but you hit the nail on the head. We hear/read a lot about the legacy fan's much vaunted monetary support of the activity that they threaten to withdraw as the contemporary drum corps no longer matches what they think drum corps must be. Here's yet another opportunity to get what they cry out for - by putting that money where their mouth is.

Will it happen? I wouldn't bet on it in Vegas. Instead, we'll be treated to another, renewed chorus of the hit single "It's Not the Way I Want It - So this Time I'm Really Leaving!"

Now that was probably more "candid" than the prevailing DCP culture deems tasteful, so I'll go ahead and apologize to anyone that my comment above offends, or hits too close to home with. ^0^

Just my solitary opinion - but as always - offered with all due respect,

Michael Terry (the elder)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then the problem should have been rectified last year! Do they really think anyone believes they are watching a live broadcast? Oh and anyone who feels ESPN2 is a better outlet than PBS is living in dreamland. ESPN2 in not on most cable standard packages. You have to subscribe to one of the premium packages. PBS is included in all basic services. As far as PBS not treating DC fairly it’s DC fault! At one time you could see all of finals in its entirety. These broadcasts were tied to the stations pledge drives. Not enough DC fans pledged and many would call in and then not follow through. I guess you get what you pay for.

I have WideOpenWest cable service, and ESPN2 is part of the standard package. I believe it is also in the standard Time Warner package here in Columbus. However it is distributed, the number of households it reaches is 88 million. Probably more than enough to increase drum corps' exposure.

What a load of crap!!! Doesn't anyone on DCI's production team know how to edit? It would be simple to insert SCV in their finishing placement and make it look as if it took place that way "live". Besides who in their viewing audience believes they are watching a live event? Better explanation is they are showing Boston because finals were held in their hometown or they feel they’ll get better ratings in the East. I for one will boycott the program.

Sounds like... SOUR GRAPES!

The members of the Santa Clara Vanguard worked their tails off this year. All their effort paid off at finals when from all accounts they performed one of the best shows of the evening. For all their efforts they were awarded 8th place by the judges, two spots above their seeding. How does DCI award them? In the promotion for the television broadcast of the nights competition DCI provides 8 posters. These posters represent the corps that placed 1st through 7th and the 9th place corps. OK they want to broadcast the event as it happened. I’ll live with it, but I think they should change that part of the format. Who can explain why the posters were based on the semi-final results? Who in DCI made this decision? I think the decision shows no respect for the accomplishments of the 2005 Santa Clara Vanguard. I would feel this strongly if they treated any corps in this manner.

I think the decision shows no respect for the accomplishments of the 2005 Santa Clara Vanguard. I would feel this strongly if they treated any corps in this manner.

I'm having a little bit of trouble swallowing that, but ok. I don't recall you raising this much cane when Bluecoats got screwed last year.

Seriously, at least DCI is being consistant so the coats fans don't cry foul. As long as they stick to this every year, then I don't see the problem. Just let everyone know at the end how it all turned out.

Edited by geluf

The members of the Santa Clara Vanguard worked their tails off this year. All their effort paid off at finals when from all accounts they performed one of the best shows of the evening. For all their efforts they were awarded 8th place by the judges, two spots above their seeding. How does DCI award them? In the promotion for the television broadcast of the nights competition DCI provides 8 posters. These posters represent the corps that placed 1st through 7th and the 9th place corps. OK they want to broadcast the event as it happened. I’ll live with it, but I think they should change that part of the format. Who can explain why the posters were based on the semi-final results? Who in DCI made this decision? I think the decision shows no respect for the accomplishments of the 2005 Santa Clara Vanguard. I would feel this strongly if they treated any corps in this manner.

it makes sense for the posters to be of the corps that will be shown in the broadcast.

For all you people mad about SCV not being on why don't you buy the DVDs. They will be there. Or if you want to support SCV directly they have been putting out yearly tour DVDs.

Someone watching for the first time won't know the difference. And I doubt they will care either.

Turn on the way back machine...  Saturday, they were the last 8 on.  It'll be interesting to see how the broadcast handles it, but if you go back to...  92?  Xmen jumped into 6th, showing the top 6... they didn't get on PBS.  I'm 60% sure about that one...

Yes, you are correct. They showed Phantom Regiment, and a clip from Crossmen. Of course, as someone else mentioned, it was shot live...

I'm pretty sure that if the rolls were reversed, and BAC, or BK, or Glassmen or Spirit, had been in that same position, hardly anyone would be complaining. Just be happy that its on ESPN 2 this year.

Actually, if the "rolls" were reversed, the bread would be on the outside, and the crust would be on the insi.....er....yeah that's a dumb joke... :whistle:

For all you people mad about SCV not being on why don't you buy the DVDs. They will be there. Or if you want to support SCV directly they have been putting out yearly tour DVDs.

Someone watching for the first time won't know the difference. And I doubt they will care either.

Okay, that's not the point. The point is, they should BE ON THE BROADCAST. Bluecots should have been on the broadcast last year. I think it is really stupid to decide who is shown in this manner. Someone watching for the first time won't realize if they insert SCV in there were they really placed in finals, either...I always buy the dvds, but I still think DCI should CHANGE THIS RULE. They can't this year, because Bluecoats fans will be ######, but they should change it before the next season starts. It's just pig-headedness at work, IMO...

Edited by Cardman

No SCV should not be on the broadcast. That is the point. Because it is being shown is it was on finals night. That is the way they have decided to do it for going on 3 years now.For the main purposes of this broadcast it does not matter. And it shouldn't matter anyway. Anyone who wants to see it that badly will buy the DVD.

It's the way it is. Deal with it. Or do something about it. How many of you that has complained about this have written up a letter/e-mail to DCI stating your position. My guess would be a very small percentage.

Edit: Why the #### am I still awake?

Edited by hboyce