2006?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this thought this morning as well. I'd love to see Spirit pay tribute to the culture of New Orleans with some swingin' Southern jazz and dixieland.

I hope not. Shows done in that vein are usually not done tastefully (ala Cadets '02). I think it's using catastrophe to up GE.

Like someone else said, something celebrating New Orleans and its culture would be much better.

I wonder if any corps or indoor guards will put together a show to reflect on the devestation those felt by Katrina.

On a semi-related note, The Tragically Hip song "New Orleans is Sinking and I Don't Want to Swim" has been pulled from the air in Canada.

I will go on record now and say that I don't like the idea even if it's an upbeat tribute show to the city of New Orleans. I didn't like the idea of patriotic shows in '02 either. It's too soon.

After the three (four, was it?) hurricanes that hit south Florida this past year, my marching band did a show called "Category V" in the fall/winter of '04. We chose the show before they happened, but the season was still going on while they were all hitting. You don't need cheesy G.E. to produce a show like that, just music that can sort of recreate the experience somewhat, and some sort of relevance in the guard. We didn't have narration or props or anything, and if someone did do a show themed after Katrina, I don't think it'd need it either.