Official >> Mini Corps' Discussion

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my opinion:

With ONLY a drumset, how can you look like a drumcorps?  Minicorps, to me, sounds like Mini-Drum-corps.  If you only have a drumset, your Corps looks like a mixed ensemble.  Do we need to define the word Minicorps?  It's the "corps" in Minicorps that bothers me.  To me that sounds like a unit that is trying to emulate Drumcorps, but, due to lack of members, interest, ect..... - Can't go on the field.

Am I out of line here?????Does this bother anyone else?

Again, I must say, the THUNDERBIRDS deserved the placement the Judges gave us.  "We made our own bed."  We didn't play a "clean" enough show.  And I am OK with that.                 My hats off to Mass Brass.....they kicked azz..............

..........................except 4 strutta.               lol

My opinion may/may not reflect the opinion of the THUNDERBIRDS as a whole.  Please post your negative reactions to my post in reference to me. 

Thank you,

Thank you very much.

AGREED! At what point does mini corps become brass ensemble (or screech-fest)? Edited by Storkysr

well, the TBirds, Mass Brass, Golden Eagles and Ghostriders had meetings and came up with a vision of forming a circuit of minicorps (hyphen optional) called MCA. We didn't envision (sp) a bunch of guys standing there playing little concerts and reading music off of stands. If you're not going to move, you might as well bring out folding chairs too. I doubt the TBirds will want to participate in anything like that. As for I&E at DCA's, it's their game so whatever. we didn't even know who was going to DCA's until August. Unfortunately 2 of our soloists decided not to go. we had to change our opener at the last minute to cover their loss with a song we had rights to. Our second baris went to Cru, so I learned the 2nd bari part and mike h. (sop, formerly with the Bucs) learned the 3rd Bari part. we learned a few moves the last week and up to 8:00 that friday night to try to put on a decent show. the thought of using music stands was never even considered. That we even took 4th is a blessing to me and why you don't hear any complaining about the score : ) there it is. cya

Edited by bass1

well, the TBirds, Mass Brass, Golden Eagles and Ghostriders had meetings and came up with a vision of forming a circuit of minicorps (hyphen optional) called MCA.  We didn't envision (sp)  a bunch of guys standing there playing little concerts and reading music off of stands.  If you're not going to move, you might as well bring out folding chairs too.  I doubt the TBirds will want to participate in anything like that.  As for I&E at DCA's, it's their game so whatever.  we didn't even know who was going to DCA's until August.  Unfortunately 2 of our soloists decided not to go. we had to change our opener at the last minute to cover their loss with a song we had rights to.  Our second baris went to Cru, so I learned the 2nd bari part and mike h. (sop, formerly with the Bucs) learned the 3rd Bari part.  we learned a few moves the last week and up to 8:00 that friday night to try to put on a decent show.  the thought of using music stands was never even considered.  That we even took 4th is a blessing to me and why you don't hear any complaining about  the score : ) there it is.  cya

4th is good considering we learned, basically, a whole new show w/drill at 6:00 p.m. friday. Jeff, of course, changed everything on the bus on the way to the stadium......but hey, it's all GOOD!!

4th is good considering we learned, basically, a whole new show w/drill at 6:00 p.m. friday. Jeff, of course, changed everything on the bus on the way to the stadium......but hey, it's all GOOD!!

Hey, just remember... I hadn't seen anything drill wise until we started rehearsal friday night!!! Mikey B. thanks for the compliment!! You did awesome with running back and forth between bari 2 and the drumline feature!!!!

thank you, Mike.  I wish you the best in wherever you go next. San Francisco?

Thanks for the well wishes *toasting labatts*

I'd love to go play with San Francisco... but I'm teaching in Delaware at the moment. Maybe someday I'll get there!!!

I would really love to be a part of their kick a** sop line!

As well as, I'd just love to stay in the drum corps activity... but it's gonna be hard down here in Salisbury, MD. Anyone know of anything close by? Reading is 3 hours and Yankee Rebels are in Baltimore, but other than that, I haven't got a clue!

I just can't imagine anybody beating the Renegades minicorps. i've never heard anything like that before, maybe at a Buddy Rich or Maynard show. Speaking of Maynard, he's playing at our corps banquet. details on the TBird website. Dinner, drinks and MF. Congrats to the Renegades on a fantastic show. :worthy:

Since 1993, the T-Birds have done our best to look like a Mini-Drumcorps.  We will continue to do so.  We will not have music stands because there is absolutely no excuse to have music stands at Finals.  (You had ALL YEAR to memorize the music.)  We will NEVER have our percussion section be only a drumset.  We would love to have a colorguard, but the rules state 21 members only.  I can almost deal with a drumset, but music stands tell me that your unit isn't committed enough to memorize music.  Just say "NO" to music stands!!! 

DISCLAIMER:

This my opinion.  My opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the THUNDERBIRDS as a whole. 

btw- How 'bout that picture LegalEagle???

Nick, It's killing me, but I gotta agree with just about everything you say except the trap set thing, I don't know, you have your style and we have ours and other corps have theirs, kinda what makes the whole mini corps thing interesting. As far as stands go I couldn't agree with you more! (that hurt) That being said, you guys did a nice job Friday, I was able to catch the last half of your show. Looks like we'll have plenty to talk about all next year!