How Much Show is Enough

Just thinking over the DCA weekend why should I continue supporting DCI corps, when I thoroughly enjoyed myself in Scranton? How much more show does one need than what the DCA top six offered? After watching the Renegades, who needs The Zone to be abstract? Did SCV really appeal that much more to my love of Russian classics than Bushwackers (great work in both circuits, Myron.)

Had an interesting chat with a Renegades management type who was fairly candid about their annual budget. It's about 1/10 of what is rumored to be the budget for top DCI corps, and they basically have to "deadhead" cross country for championships, unlike their DCI neighbors who can tour their way to the East Coast, earning their keep as they go. Is another 20 pages of drill really worth it?

What do you think?

As one who has become a DCA convert this year . . .

it is more than just 20 pages of drill. It IS a higher level of execution . . . as should be expected.

Personally, it's a choice. Do I pick a circuit whose recent . . . philosophical changes (about many things) I have been less than enthused about, yet whose elite corps perform at the highest level in the whole activity, or do I pick a circuit which has a lower performance level but entertains me personally at a higher level, and for a fraction of the cost of the former?

Justin and Wayne,

Sounds like you guys have found a place in DCA where you can be happy! More power to you both. :worthy:

Just thinking over the DCA weekend why should I continue supporting DCI corps, when I thoroughly enjoyed myself in Scranton? How much more show does one need than what the DCA top six offered? After watching the Renegades, who needs The Zone to be abstract? Did SCV really appeal that much more to my love of Russian classics than Bushwackers (great work in both circuits, Myron.)

What's wrong with some of each? I attended two DCI shows and a DCA, and each gave me what I was looking for...an enjoyable evening of great marching/music entertainment.

Mike

my guess is they found what they want at DCA, and for a lot less cost

As one who has become a DCA convert this year . . .

it is more than just 20 pages of drill.  It IS a higher level of execution . . . as should be expected.

Personally, it's a choice.  Do I pick a circuit whose recent . . . philosophical changes (about many things) I have been less than enthused about, yet whose elite corps perform at the highest level in the whole activity, or do I pick a circuit which has a lower performance level but entertains me personally at a higher level, and for a fraction of the cost of the former?

Since DCA isn't exactly new to me, having been involved on and off for quite a few years, I've gotten adjusted to the performance issue. I don't know where you saw DCA, but performances can be very uneven from night to night. That's in large part due to the inconsistency of a 10-12 show schedule. If you were at Championships, most corps had rough performances at prelims and bounded back in finals.

Obviously, the Kiltie tragedy was weighing on everyone Saturday night and the later-performing corps had to also deal with the effects of the delay and a rapidly-dropping temperature.

I found most of the Sunday shows to be quite clean and inspired.

What's wrong with some of each? I attended two DCI shows and a DCA, and each gave me what I was looking for...an enjoyable evening of great marching/music entertainment.

Mike

I think what struck me was a realization that, in Boston, I was blowing off more shows than I watched. (by the time finals rolled around, I was eating and chatting between SCV and Phantom) while in Scranton, I was pretty much glued to my seat from Cabs on. Bad for the concession stand, but good for drum corps.