What's up with the Music stands?

I was watching the mini-corps show the other night and noticed some units with music stands. Is this an unfair advantage? Is this Drum Corps or Orchestras? I'm not sure if the rules allow it, but I was under the impression that mini corps were basically under the same guidelines as regular drum corps? Why should the Renegades and Mass Brass and most everyone else for that matter prepare and memorize their parts and a group such as Minn Brass ( an incredibly talented group I might add) be able to play off sheet music, which in my mind eliminates a lot of room for error. This was supposed to be a competitive venue, Ive never been to a competitive Drum Corps show where a Corps took stands onto the field. Is there any rule for this?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you liked Minne-Brass.

We had six or seven rehearsals with the group, and strongly urged memorization of the charts. We had three stands out there. Two mellophone players were added only three rehearsals ago, and really didn't have a good chance to get it all memorized.

We decided it was better to go out there and risk stands blowing over and the clumsiness of having music in front of a few players, rather than do a poor job on the music.

The lack of memorization may have hurt our score. One judge did mention under the Performance Effect caption that it "might help" and we would have "maybe a bit more" spirit and emotion if we would "maybe work to have charts memorized."

We plan to keep our new group going, and perform without the disadvantage of music stands. We're confident we'll be able to have a better performance next time you see us.

Personally for me, I didn't care and hardly noticed. I thought all of the groups were incredibly entertaining, and that was good enough for me. Didn't even think about it until just now. I&E's also had some people with, some without stands. It would be interesting to know whether there's anything in the rules about this though.

Nothing in the rules prohibits the use of music stands so I see no problem with them. However, as the number and quality of the mini corps improve, I do see where the possibility exists that judges may look down on the practice of using stands.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show Lt.

sorry i didn't get to see you're show, minne brass. I'll have to settle for the DVD. Weren't you doing shows in the Spring? I hate music stands @ practice, let alone on the field. Anyway, didn't seem to matter to the judges. So you did no drill? You must of blown the house down to beat the Renegades. They were unbelievable. Congratulations to both corps.

sorry i didn't get to see you're show, minne brass.  I'll have to settle for the DVD.  Weren't you doing shows in the Spring?  I hate music stands @ practice, let alone on the field.  Anyway, didn't seem to matter to the judges.  So you did no drill? You must of blown the house down to beat the Renegades.  They were unbelievable.  Congratulations to both corps.

Only an opinion, Minne had the best soloists, Renegades had the hardest charts, Mass Brass had the best overall sound and probably the cleanest performance. Just an opinion of course, Ive been away from Drum Corps for a while and I thought the whole show was outstanding!

sorry i didn't get to see you're show, minne brass.  I'll have to settle for the DVD.  Weren't you doing shows in the Spring?   I hate music stands @ practice, let alone on the field.   Anyway, didn't seem to matter to the judges.  So you did no drill? You must of blown the house down to beat the Renegades.  They were unbelievable.  Congratulations to both corps.

That brings me to another question. Does anyone care if minicorps do drill or not? We had about 20 pages of drill (I say pages, but it wasn't that formal) in our show. I have no idea if that helped or hurt our score, but it sure was more fun marching than just standing. I'm wondering if those in the stands enjoy seeing drill in the minicorps show.

05_Mini_Corps_Tag.jpg

Edited by tubadon

That brings me to another question.  Does anyone care if minicorps do drill or not?  We had about 20 pages of drill (I say pages, but it wasn't that formal) in our show.  I have no idea if that helped or hurt our score, but it sure was more fun marching than just standing.  I'm wondering if those in the stands enjoy seeing drill in the minicorps show.

I enjoy seeing the drill. But if someone is just moving a couple of times just for the sake of moving, it doesn't carry much effect. I'd rather they stand still then try and throw in some minor movement at the last minute that doesn't come together well.

mini corps? try prelims for competing corps.

seeing stands there shocked me