• 4. 1972-1976
    • 5. 1977-1981
    • 6. 1982-1986
    • 7. 1987-1991
    • 8. 1992-1996
    • 9. 1997-2002
    • 10. I saw my first show in the last 3 years

"A Long Time Ago, Far Far Away":

I have very early memories of watching the Barnum Festival's "Parade of Champions" in the old Hedges Stadium (Harding High School), in 1956, or possibly 1957.

I remember the Geneva Appleknockers (With their GREAT soprano soloist, Mr Kenny Peterson, now 76 years young and STILL wailing), Hawthorne Caballeros ("Go Get em' Ralph!!") the Lt Norman Prince 'Princemen' with "Sweet Georgia Brown", and the New York Skyliners, with Hy Drietzer still playing a pretty wild French Horn bugle as their "Concert Soloist"in "Puttin' On the Ritz".

The first "Junior" corps I can actually 'remember' (sort of) was the St Vincents Cadets who also competed at Hedges Stadium in the Bridgeport PAL Cadets "Parade of Junior Champions" in 1959.

The late 1950s saw the Bridgeport Police Athletic League convert their "Parade Corps" into an "M & M" unit, and the cross town St Raphael's Roman Catholic Parish had started a drum corps which became the Golden Buccaneers.

Elphaba

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First live show for me was 1997 at Diablo Valley College in Concord. I only knew of the Blue Devils then because some kids in my high school band were in it (they were seniors or college freshman then). "As time goes by" will always be one of my all time favorite shows because it introduced me to this great activity.

2002 Concord Show

One of the best live shows I have ever seen.

Madison took my face off with their sound(always a pleseant memory for a first-timer :worthy: )

SCV hooked me in and smacked me down with class and power.

BD showed me what energy and pizazz were all about.

I would have to say that Madison 02 was the one corps that inspired me to want to do this activity that I am still involved with today! Thank You all from Madison 02 B)

First shows were at the South Milwaukee (Wisc) "Spectacle of Music" in the 1970's, featuring the (Chicago) Cavaliers, Madison (Boy) Scouts, Racine Kilties, Racine Scouts, Mariners, Phantom Regiment, Chicago Royalaires, etc. Lots of these corps have disappeared completed, or morphed into new combinations since then!

Edited by E-Daddy

My first show was DivII/III Finals in 2000 at College Park, MD. Competiting were:

DivIII:

Les Senateurs

Capital Regiment

Yamato

General Butler Vagabonds

Cincinnati Glory

Americanos

Seattle Cascades

DivII:

Jersey Surf

Patriots

Blue Stars

Mandarins

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets

That was a good show with all the corps performing at a much higher level than any marching band I had seen. In fact, that was the year SCVC cracked into DivI semifinals with Mandarins only a few tenths behind them in 18th place. Jersey Surf took guard that year in DivII (with easily their best guard in their history - ended up faring very well in DivI), and I was convinced I was going to march a strong DCI colorguard someday.

I didn't go to a DivI show until the following year when the friend with whom I had went to II/III Finals ended up marching Crossmen (and this show in Herndon, VA wasn't especially impressive - 4 DivI corps, a DivII corps in its death throes, and the last place DivIII corps in DCI that summer). For a number of reasons (primarily holding down a summer job to pay for college), that friend and I went off to march LVK the following summer.

First shows were at the South Milwaukee (Wisc) "Spectacle of Music" in the 1970's, featuring the (Chicago) Cavaliers, Madison (Boy) Scouts, Racine Kilties, Racine Scouts, Mariners, Phantom Regiment, Chicago Royalaires, etc.  Lots of these corps have disappeared completed, or morphed into new combinations since then!

On the contrary, I think that having 6 of those still around in one form or another is rather remarkable, seeing as so many corps have fallen by the wayside.

The first show I actually "attended" was Lake Highlands in Dallas in 1990. But I marched Colts the year before, so the first corps I ever saw perform live was Phantom Regiment. New World is still my all-time favorite show....

Stephanie