smart-aleck review/rant of DCA finals

"Bucs: clean, cleaner and cleanest. GREAT drums, crisp horns, nice marching and best (by far) down-tempo piece of the contest with “Adagio.” Beautiful and haunting. Congrats after waiting 25 years for your return to glory. Parksie is happy somewhere."

George Parks was in attendance for DCA finals weekend.  He could be heard as the Bucs entered the field for their finals performance shouting from the top of the stadium: "Ay, me Buccaneers!  Tis the night we've waited for for 25 years!"  As a former Buc who marched under the intense direction of Professor Parks, I can tell you that it sent chills through me and was a welcome addition to the evening.

This is a bit OT, but I have to add to what Amy posted. When George Parks spoke to the corps before the end of our last rehearsal on Sunday, it was truly a great moment for the Buccaneers. All of the mystique from the past seemed to fill the members of the current corps as he spoke so fondly of his years with the Bucs and the great tradition that preceeded and followed him.

At the victory concert after Finals, George locked into a salute with our current Drum Major, Josh Decker, for a solid minute. It was a very cool moment to witness.

Congrats to all the corps that participated in 2005. It was a great year for DCA.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll tell you what DCI people have told me...if you hate it that much, dont bother coming around.

cause i feel about them the exact way you feel about DCA

nah, I don't hate DCA - just a bit frustrated and airing my feelings in a frank and honest manner. I'll keep coming. haven't missed since late early 90's. (unless they go to Carolina!)

This is a bit OT, but I have to add to what Amy posted.  When George Parks spoke to the corps before the end of our last rehearsal on Sunday, it was truly a great moment for the Buccaneers.  All of the mystique from the past seemed to fill the members of the current corps as he spoke so fondly of his years with the Bucs and the great tradition that preceeded and followed him.

At the victory concert after Finals, George locked into a salute with our current Drum Major, Josh Decker, for a solid minute.  It was a very cool moment to witness.

Congrats to all the corps that participated in 2005.  It was a great year for DCA.

guys, that is so cool. I'm glad he's still around and sorry he's not still majoring. when I was a young boy going to my first shows in the early 80's, there were few things more cool than George Parks with the mace, and Butch Anderson with the histrionics - and you can see that I honor them with my tag name. drum majoring in DCA (and in general) took a big step backwards when they hung it up

I strongly disagree with much of this review, but it is refreshing to see someone put up their real opinion and not just "Everyone was great"

I say this as a member of a group the reviewer didn't particularly care for.

thank you. yes, I do think everone is a little too nice with the reviews. I liked you guys and you have come a long way, of which I'm very impressed. however, the product is just a bit bland, like most of the corps this year.

I know you have to keep it clean to win over the judges, but that kills a lot of the entertainment and showmanship that make drum corps exciting and watchable over many performances

- great program! Could you make the type smaller and more blurry for me in 2006? looks like you really put a lot of time and effort into this one, DCA. Crowd members over the age of 50 were seen all night handing over their programs to the grandkids. Did you type that stuff out on a manual typewriter or use a dot-matrix printer??? Goodness, join the printing revolution.

Two words - stronger bifocals :P

Seriously, REALLY wished the reps of all the corps would have been listed. Heard a few songs I really liked but have no bleeping idea what the song titles were. Really ###### me off (Yeah better than being ###### on) that one of the Hurrcs songs was played by a French Canadian corps in the late 70s and I loved both versions. Too bad I have NO idea what the song is called.

thank you. yes, I do think everone is a little too nice with the reviews. I liked you guys and you have come a long way, of which I'm very impressed. however, the product is just a bit bland, like most of the corps this year.

I know you have to keep it clean to win over the judges, but that kills a lot of the entertainment and showmanship that make drum corps exciting and watchable over many performances

i'm far from polite unless i am writing for DCW

"Bucs: clean, cleaner and cleanest. GREAT drums, crisp horns, nice marching and best (by far) down-tempo piece of the contest with “Adagio.” Beautiful and haunting. Congrats after waiting 25 years for your return to glory. Parksie is happy somewhere."

George Parks was in attendance for DCA finals weekend.  He could be heard as the Bucs entered the field for their finals performance shouting from the top of the stadium: "Ay, me Buccaneers!  Tis the night we've waited for for 25 years!"  As a former Buc who marched under the intense direction of Professor Parks, I can tell you that it sent chills through me and was a welcome addition to the evening.

He also spent the day of prelims and the day of finals with the corps, and spoke to us following rehearsal. He's one heck of a speaker. Also, if you were paying attention, as the corps set up for the victory concert, he gave Josh Decker the most intense salure I have ever seen.

I hope someone got a picture of that...

it's over on the old bored forum. ask Jami to put it up over here

Seriously, REALLY wished the reps of all the corps would have been listed. Heard a few songs I really liked but have no bleeping idea what the song titles were. Really ###### me off (Yeah better than being ###### on) that one of the Hurrcs songs was played by a French Canadian corps in the late 70s and I loved both versions. Too bad I have NO idea what the song is called.

The Man with the Golden Arm.

To I missbutch and george:

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion about the Cabs O5 hornline, but I think your opinion lacks validity. I've played in the CABS hornline the past three years, so naturally I have my own perspective and bias. However, the difference between us is that I would check as much unbiased data as I could before I made such strong public pronouncements. I suggest that you look at the brass scores from the finals where knowledgeable judges on the field placed our hornline almost even with Minn Brass and only slightly down from the Renegades and Brigs. Based on your own opinions, Minnesota and the Renegades were very good. So, the data shows that the CABS hornline performed almost as well as corps you judged to be very good.

I was with the CABS all winter, spring and summer, so I witnessed the dramatic changes the hornline went through. While we have had better scores and placements in the past, I can tell you that a lot of corps would not have made it through the challenges we faced. How many corps could lose the number of members and support staff we did in one year and still come back to field a competitive corps scoring in the 90's.

I am proud of the 05 CABS. We had an awesome drumline, the color guard really pulled it together, and the brassline was respectable. I can't wait to get started on the 06 60th anniversary show.

Mike Risley (Doc)

Cabs soprano/trumpet 03-present