Most Influential Instructor

PJS53

Fred Sanford and Matt Savage

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are both Allen Kristensen and Ralph Hardimon.

Allen gave me the start in percussion in high school and had the faith in me. He was the one that helped me get to SCV where Ralph then took over.

These for me are the 2 most influential drum staff I have had. B)

Kimela

edit: need to add Ed Teleky to this mix...he is giving me challenges as a mallet player I have never had before. I can say when this season is over, I will have become a much better player and performer.

The drum instructors that I had that influenced me the most were in the bigger picture of life were:

Carl Roucco: "Play the f-ing part or I'll break your f-ing face!" His in your face approach made me stand my ground and stick to what I believe.

Jay Webb: From my understanding he is or was a DCI judge. Though he only worked our line for a brief period he gave me the ability to hone my ability to focus on details.

Eddie Argenziano: How to listen.

Pete Wyatt: How to play from one's heart.

Robb Mueller: He made a white boy "play that funky music."

Tom Flowers: He had patience with me and allowed me to have patience with others.

• 7 months later...

As a mallet player, I'm going to give a shout out to my '79 instructor Tom Nanni......

And here's a direct quote from him.....(on the teacher/student relationship)

....."as a teacher, I don't teach you anything, a good teacher just motivates a student to learn"....so true!!!! B)

• 3 years later...

i know theres all those big huge instructors, but my school instructor is really awesome. andy sanders, if you can, look em up.

Mine would have to be Kevin Guidry.

He marched baritone for Southwind a few years ago, but he was also on the drumline at McNeese State University where he played bass and snare. He was a brass tech for SCV, but also helped out with the line whenever he could. He came to my high school my sophomore year, and the difference he has made is amazing. From what our line was and what it is now, the difference is as much as it is between college band and corps.

He's also the man that introduced me to drum corps. Because of him, I'm making the trip out to North Carolina next year to audition for Crown's 09 season. I'm also entering McNeese State next year (I'm a senior this year) for a degree in music education.