Most Influential Instructor

PJS53

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray Weiner............................Great writers and teachers!

I know him. He taught Guardsmen when I was there.

I marched with Ray in the Scouts in 1974 and 1975.

Dan

My two would be Pete Emmons and Charlie Anderson.

LOL..... Oops wrong Topic!

Please return to your regular channel!

On a side note, since so many of you have worked with Tom Float, I thought I'd mention that he had a Disneyland gig for awhile (he might still, but I don't know). My friends and I went to D-land at the end of January, and we were just walking down the street and heard drumming, and a crowd was gathered around. I pushed my way through the crowd to see, and there was Tom Float with two other guys drumming on trash cans in the middle of the street. I saw him later that day somewhere else in the park, and said hi. Just thought it was a funny coincidence seeing him there!

RK B)

He's still there. It's called the trash can trio. Pete Sapadin (Troopers caption head) is also in it, or at least he was a while ago. They have a similar group at Disneyworld called the jammitors.

Terry Shalberg! He had me playing the three camps, #### on the Wabash, the General, and Grandfathers Clock at the age of 9!

Rick Odello for Pushing me to the limit!

I learned an awful lot from Scotty J and Tom float while I was a cook on tour in 87 & 89 though!

(just from watching and listening)

For many of us "old timers" in the new york/ Nj area, its Bobby Thompson-he had one heck of an influence on so many of us-the consumate gentleman, the innovations, the quality of his drum lines speak for themselves. All you have to do is look back to Blessed Sacrament, OLPH Ridgemen, St Andrews Bridgemen and so many more. If you dont believe me, ask someone like Dennis Delucia.

For many of us "old timers" in the new york/ Nj area, its Bobby Thompson-he had one heck of an influence on so many of us-the consumate gentleman, the innovations, the quality of his drum lines speak for themselves. All you have to do is look back to Blessed Sacrament, OLPH Ridgemen, St Andrews Bridgemen and so many more. If you dont believe me, ask someone like Dennis Delucia.

Bobby was indeed a gentleman. I was juding a bunch of indoor shows back in the late 70's, in the Far Rockaway area, and it seemed like half the groups had Bobby as their instructor.

I almost joined BS after the 69 season...I spent time in Newark in early fall to see if I should go with them (as they were my personal facorite growing up, ESP in 69) or Garfield (where I had a lot of friends). Bobby put me to work building double tenors out of old single drums, stripping them down to the shells and building them up form scratch. He really was a great guy.

I ended up in Garfield where the great George Tuthill was our instructor and never had any regrets. They were just a better fit, as a lot of kids form my class 'B' corps had gone there after the 68 season already, so I had friends pulling me in that direction.

Mike