Most Influential Instructor

PJS53

For me it was Tom Float in '74 when he was our center snare for the Kingsmen, Bob Kalkoffen of SCV (snare genius), Curt Moore (my listen into snare on my left in 75) and Paul Siebert (SCV center snare in the early-to-mid 70s).

I could write story after story. I will say that marching with Tom in the Kingsmen was a hoot. We would take the work very seriously while at the same time joking around. It kept us loose.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been fortunate enough to have had several who had tremendous influence on me:

Cal Meyers

Les Parks

Bob Peterson

George Tuthill

Jack Pratt

My thanks to all of them for making me the drummer I am! I don't know if I have ever thanked them enough.

I've been fortunate enough to have had several who had tremendous influence on me:

Cal Meyers

Les Parks

Bob Peterson

George Tuthill

Jack Pratt

My thanks to all of them for making me the drummer I am! I don't know if I have ever thanked them enough.

CAL MEYERS????? I know him - John - PM coming your way!

For me it's gotta be Jerry Garcia (Tympani 74 Kingsmen). He introduced me to the concept of drumming as a musical endeavor rather than just pounding away on a drum. He was also the person who encouraged me to audition for the Blue Devils when I expressed self doubt about whether or not I was good enough. He said that while I was not good enough to make their August line I was good enough to make their November line. Armed with that perspective I accomplished my goal. That is a life lesson I still use to this day.

JR Bechtel, Jeff Shipman, Dan DeLong, Terrell Smith,

For me my list would be

George Brown who gave an ambitious 6 year old the opportunity to play with the big boys

Don Quinn who inspired me to experiment with my abilities

Eric Perrilouix who taught me the meaning of "Quality Calibre" drumming and wouldnot accept anything less than 100% of what I was capable of

Wes Meyers who extended what I learned, taught me about improvisation and how to put flams and backsticking in places where I never thought they could go at the time. :thumbup:

..............another Erie area native,.......................Gus has effected just about every percussionist in the area one way or another over the last 4 or 5 decades,.....................

just curious,........................Vic, how is it you know Gus?

Gary,

Gus was the Hurricanes percussion arranger and such in 81 & 82.

We still stay in touch when we can!

Hey Vic!!! You know that you were my most influential instructor. Not only did you teach me how to play almost any variation of a flam, but you also taught me how to play with passion and desire. You showed me the way of the whacker!