Most Influential Instructor

PJS53

George Tuthill - For putting me on a snare drum on a hunch that I might be able to play it.

Bobby Thompson - Class & Dignity personified ... A consummate gentleman

Jim Mallen - Taught me how to read music at a time when this was not the norm

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you guys should consider yourselves lucky to have instructors. I went to a small high school in Louisiana with a band director that basically could care less if I learned how to read or not. Reading music was just like math to me. I was horrible at both. It just never "Clicked." I absolutely hated even trying to learn because it just caused so much stress whenever I couldn't grasp the "numbers." Despite the fact that I was really into marching band and one of the leaders, he never sat me down and made me learn the reading thing past just the basic elementary music reading level. When you start adding eighth and sixteenth rests, dots, bars and all that stuff, I was totally lost.

I went to a few Southern Rebel (Drum Corps) practices but was just so freaked out by the reading, that I never pursued it and never pursued any type of music education past high school except for the college marching band thing. Never had an instructor to teach me rudiments either, so I was very raw when I tried out at LSU. I didn't make it the first time, but did on the second try. I didn't progress until we (LSU) switched to Corps Style and I started learning from the other drummers that had Corps experience. By the time I graduated, I was playing and reading a lot better, but still having trouble with a lot of the snare notation.

To this day, that weak music education I got in high school with a band director that didn't "make me learn it" has been one of the biggest stumbling blocks I've faced.........

Chris Dufault

Spartans

This man was balls and didnt mess around

for any of u on the east coast wny------bill mcgrath jr---having trust in people,, rick rogers--- making u feel the music, larry darch for teaching us in st joes alumni how to read---colin campbell for instilling the music inside your self---also in your soul

Hey Vic!!! You know that you were my most influential instructor. Not only did you teach me how to play almost any variation of a flam, but you also taught me how to play with passion and desire. You showed me the way of the whacker!

Thanks Mike, That means alot ~!!

Ok, for me, there were 3 people regarding Drumming which had an influence on me, not just in drumming, but in my life.

the first was Bobby Thompson-he took me as a little 11 year old, and patiently taught me the basics, rudiments and how to carry a drum. I'll always love the man.

Then, many many years later, Vic Kulinski took this "old Phart", and taught me about toned bass lines, and all the newer stuff which I was away from for so many years(including beginning to read, which was not an issue back in the ole days). talk about patience? Best of all, he never gave up on me, and encouraged me. This guy is a saint in my eyes.

Finally, there was Dennis DeLucia, who pushed me to improve my reading skills, and expand my knowledge and ability(along with Jim Mallen). I can never thank Dennis enough.

I think I was blessed in having had the best there is.........Benny

Glad I could be an influence in and with something :smile:

this one's easy.

been lucky enough to wear a drum and put on a dc uniform for Matt Savage, Scott Johnson, Glen Crosby, Ralph Hardimon, and Tom Aungst... and all I can think of is my high school instructor back in San Diego:

THANK YOU WAYNE VOOGD!