Regiment and "Romeo and Juliet"

Ok, for those of you familiar with the ballet score (especially the excellent recording by Michael Tilson Thomas and the SF Symphony), you know how awesome some of this music is. Here are some cuts that I think would make a great show for Regiment:

"Public Merrymaking" Tons of good horn/bari riffs, and lots of opportunity for fast, clean marching. Also could feature a lot of pit instruments. If expanded, this could actually serve as a drum solo. The ending when it goes into a very rigid march in 2/4 would make an excellent musical and visual transition.

"Mercutio" would also make a potential drum solo, and could also showcase the pit mixed in with some clever brass licks.

You want a ballad? How about "Romeo and Juliet at Parting?" This would bring down the house. Or "Juliet's Funeral." I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

"Dance of the Knights" aka "The Montagues and the Capulets" is a MUST HAVE tune for this show. Talk about showing off your low brass. This would be so much fun to hear on the field.

"Death of Tybalt" would make another great transition tune out of a faster section. This would give the mellophones a chance to really wail.

"The Duel" would be the coolest thing ever played on the field if JD could figure out a way to give voice to the two contrasting chords 8 bars in...in the original, it's a very high (harmonics) string chord, followed by an evil-sounding timpani-tuba-trombone-bassoon chord. Imagine the horn lick 30 seconds in being played by PR's mellos and baris.

Droooool....

If you are not familiar with this great work of Prokofiev's, go out and get it....I recommend the Tilson-Thomas recording.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a big fan of "Romeo and Juliette." I do, however think Prokofiev would be a good match for the Regiment. My choice would be "Alexander Nevsky." Several corps have performed bits and pieces of the score through the years but, to my knowledge, no one has tackled the whole thing. It's dramatic, melodic, dark, powerful, intense and, with the right visual, has the potential to be extremely emotional -- in short it has PR and drum corps written all over it.

It worked pretty well for PR in 1988 (I think).

Wrong composer. That was Tchaikovsky, this is Prokofiev. For the record, the story of "Romeo and Juliet" has been set to music by the following composers:

Dimitrije Parlic

Charles Gounoud

Hector Berlioz

Pyotr Tchaikovsky

Sergei Prokofiev

I just listened to Juliets Funeral on Rhapsody..and that piece is pure magic.

I thought for sure some corps MUST have done Prokofiev's R&J by now.

Wow. It would be perfect for Phantom. "The Last Farewell" is probably my favorite section, but I don't know if it would translate well onto the field. The selections you covered would work quite well, imo.

My recordin is of Cleveland, but I'll try to get my hands on the San Francisco recording.