Best Hornline ever in DCI......

DevsBari02

218 members have voted

1. 1. Best Hornline ever in DCI......

• 1989 Phantom Regiment - (New World Symphony)
    • 1996 Phantom Regiment - (Defiant Heart)
    • 1991 Star of Indiana - (Roman Images)
    • 1980 Spirit of Atlanta - (Georgia/Let It Be Me)
    • 1975 Madison Scouts - (Slaughter on 10th Ave/McArthur Park)
    • 1988 Madison Scouts - (Malaguena)
    • 1992 Blue Devils - (Cuban Fire/When a Man Loves a Woman)
    • 1994 Blue Devils - (My Spanish Heart)
    • 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard - (Phantom of the Opera)
    • 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen - (Sing Sing Sing/King of Kings)

The best hornline of all time is the Kevin Harriman Drum and Bugle Corps in 2000

:D   8^)

How could they be "best of all time" ...they didnt even win high brass in 2001....I'm seriously just asking.......not trying to rub anything in at all.....

Maybe the judges were wrong?

I must say George, I did breathe a "sigh" of relief when BD was announced with High brass...that truly was an awesome Cadet line.....Im serious, it is one of my favorite Cadet shows.....!!

Geoffrey

I may not back em up in that decision George, but yes the judges have been known to be wrong from time to time

That's true, although I can't think of any examples that come immediately to mind **COUGHCadetswinningbrassin2000COUGH**:angry:

I'm over it... I'm over it...             okay, no I'm not.  :yikes:

but yes, I'll even admit they had a great line last year... I was very surprised that they got 3rd in brass, especially after beating us in that caption for almost half of tour.

Cadets won high brass in 2000 IMO... but not by as much as the judges thought.

d_grey,

check out the recap...

devils: 19.6

cadets: 19.7

what are you talking about?

imo, the cadets were FAR superior to the blue devils in 2000. much MORE than the judge thought. [and 2001, for that matter.]

All I'm going on is the finals CD... which means that it was not exactly what the brass judge heard, but Cadets opener was not too tight, and there were multiple fraks and audible individual re-entries in the closer. Maybe brass judge Andy Poor was just in the right place at the right time, but I still think he blew that call. Listen to both recordings again.

And Louis... ooh, are you in trouble! ]:-) (I'm telling! I'm telling!)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with devs taking brass in 2000 and cadets in 2001.  

In cadets 2k's defense they had to stay on the starting line for like 15 minutes while the PBS people asked for more donations so they hadn't played a note in a solid 45 minutes before the opening impact, but there's some ugly things happening in the trumpet line at the end of the show (pretty sure that wasn't a staff decision to add an appoggiatura on the high c during the company front) and devs just sounded better on the CD.

But if you want a real fun reason of why judging is apparently a moot point nowadays, not only did cadets lose to devs last year in brass but they lost to vanguard... i like vanguard and everything and if i were them i'd take the compliment and run, but cadets showed more control, had more difficulty (technique and range), and showed mastery of really different styles throughout their show.  To me that put them ahead of devs, and when vanguard is still dealing with intonation issues like they had and as many trumpet fraks as there were in the beginning of short ride... i dunno man, in the end it probably should be about who sounded the best.  

And since this whole conversation is about best hornline ever, I'm kinda surprised i didn't catch any talk of devs 99 while I was skimming.  Granted you like to let the dust settle before you attach tags like "best ever," but they were loud, they were in tune, they were clean as a baby's ###, and they were the last hurrah for the G hornline.  And anytime you write a crescendo when you're moving the hornline to the back corner, you're either an idiot or you have balls the size of grapefruits.

Just some thoughts.

--

Ryan "Mofo De La Meurte" Adamsons

Bluecoats 98-02

--