recommended Mouthpiece

No, it isn't a 6V or 6C being refered to.  The mouthpiece used by the Cadets and Bones mello lines (as well as most every other dci mello line) is a UMI Mello 6.  No letters or anything after that just "6"

They tend to be a little difficult to come by especially right before move-in.  Even though they can easily be purchased from many websites, they often end up backordered.

Not sure about the Cadets but the mps used by the Crossmen bari and euph lines are not yamahas as mentioned earlier.  (I think)

The Cadets had a mix of Mello 6's and 6v's. Not sure about the brand on all of them, but mine was a DEG purchased at Osmun's Music. I think the UMI/King's and DEG's are practically the same though.

G

at crossmen the bari and euph line uses all large shanks, 1st and 2nd baris use bach megatone 5g. and euphs used bach megatone 4g. personally, i dont like bachs very much, im more of a denis wick guy (which is what i believe scv baris/euphs used this year but am not sure). bachs are just really uncomfortable to me and feel extremely restricting. for marching baritone, IMO, i like denis wick 3 al , 4al , or 4 1/2 al... im a trombone player and use denis wick 3 al .. ya many people would say that is huge for a tenor trombone, but it is what i am most comfortable on. after playing on many different mouthpieces, i found that the denis wicks are the most open and free - feeling for me. i dont feel restricted on them and i feel like i have a great sense of buzz control on them.. where as other mouth pieces, expecially bachs, i feel like i have a huge amount of back pressure, which in turn kills my chops. the mouthpiece also works great for the yamaha marching baris because the yamaha baris have alot of resistance already, so by using a nice wide open mouthpiece it gives me alot less resistance, especially in the high and low registers. go try them out and see what you like first.. dont just buy it cause i recomend it, or use it myself. to me mouthpieces are all about what you personally are most comfortable on, not size or measurements or this piece has a smaller rim so this and that... just try out the different recommendations people are making and find what you are most comfortable on is my advice. ofcourse if you are asking this for a specific corp, you will most likely have to play on what they want you to play on..

Edited by shaners

Slightly off topic, but what were the mouthpieces that the Cavies used this year for their mellophones? I hadn't ever seen those before, I dont think....

Based on everything I have read about the mello mouthpieces they are all pretty much the same. I compared the Benge Mello 6 I got when I was in the Freelancers (stay playing on it in RCR) with the new mouthpieces we got with our Dynasty horns last year and they look identical. The King 6C may just be a mouthpiece made by a different company and branded as a King mouthpiece to go with their horns.

As far as range goes I have the same range on my mello as I do on my trumpet so it is just a matter of getting used to the mouthpiece.

Edited by Jeffreelancer

Just throwing this out in case anyone is in the market for a mouthpiece. Take a look at Parke. Website is Parke Mouthpiece Center

They have just released some proto-type versions of Jay Friedman's mouthpiece which is close to a 3G or so on the Bach mouthpiece spec chart. They have several versions and I have recently demo'd one and will never go back to a Bach or a Dennis Wick.

They have many pro's using their products so check them out.

Dianne Parke is who you'll probably get if you call them and she'll set you up with a demo model.

Check out the list of Symphony players who are playing them, then demo one and you'll be a believer also!

And no, i'm not associated with the company in any way. Just an amazed customer at how wonderful the product is after 18 years of playing on Bach's and Dennis Wick's.

For anyone interested in mello mouthpieces, check out the brass forum - there's a few threads that have already been started there - just search, or go back a few pages, you should find them.