Minor uni changes...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVED the cords the scouts added this year.... I think that final addition really makes the uniforms attractive. I miss the sash, but I genuinely like looking at them now. Not that I don't always enjoy looking....  :worthy:

The "cords" are actually silver mardi-gras-type beads, but they look nice from afar. I don't know.... I just really like cords on jackets. Especially BAC.

BK needs some pizazz.... theirs are slightly boring. That's not a cut on them.... they just need something unique on their jackets. Maybe incorporate the old dots somehow...?

I TOTALLY AGREE. When i saw them for the first time in the season, I think at the BOA/DCI show, I thought the silver trim was very nice!! I loved the look this year.

Cavies uni is fine the way it is. All that 'fluff' is exactly what the uni is supposed to do (make them look taller and help keep the visual focus on the top half of the bodies). As long as they keep on as successfully as they have with this concept, why would they want to change it?

Cadets re-imagining of their uni was unfortunate, imho. They now look like a cheap marching band knockoff of their old unis. Go back to the old unis, let the kids sweat a little more, and look much cooler doing it.

Troopers should take the drum major uni and make it corps-wide (minus the boots). Change the headgear to a light grey hat (check out John Wayne in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon") and they make themselves look bigger on the field with better definition of the forms.

Crossmen should find a friggin design and stick with it. The current unis are a black mess, the previous grey version was no better. The best they've ever had was early 90s - go back to it and call it a day.

Like the pants on the current BD unis, but the new jackets don't cut it. They flop on everyone, very poor definition of upper bodies. A new version of the mess jacket from the mid-70s through early 90s might be in order (no ruffled fronts though... :P ).

PR's uni now seems to work for them. I wouldn't change anything.

SCV's new/retro look is fine, though I liked the late 90s unis more than anything before or since.

Bluecoats need SOMEthing in the way or ornamentation on the upper body. Right now it's just too plain.

Madison made some nice alterations to the new uni this year which helped them out. Keep it.

Edited by mobrien

Well I believe Devs are changing their unis. Good choice because the new ones look like they don't fit correctly. I like the pinstripes up close but you can't see unless you're right on them. I would go with something with an open front but updated. I do remeber back in 2004 when someone posted a sketch that a friend did, it was very nice and combined the pre and post 94 looks together.

There is something about the Cadets uni that bugs me. Again, it has to do with the fit.

Mandarins uni is very original and very nice BUT it makes the corps look short and squaty, much like my Blue Stars uni before they did the changes in 2003.

Madison, I like the new ones but I wish there was a stripe down the leg. Cadets proved this season that you can win vis with an exposed uni.

Cavies, I agree with Mike New.

Phantom, I wouldn't change a thing.

Crossmen - Something along the lines of the pre- Yea version.

Boston- I love them

Bluecoats - Ditto

Crown - Add some purple

Is it me or are all Drum Corps Drum Major Uni's better than the corps uni's? I can't find an exception. I say switch up :)

:P :P :P :P :P

I agree with you 100%! I loved Cavies guard uniforms from 2004.....much more masculine than the want be all girl chorus line we saw on the field this year! :sshh:

I think some of the costume designers are letting their "personal biases" show through, which can unfortunately lead to more showing through than that. Ack.

a bit off topic i know... but what happens to uniforms when i corps stops using that edition? ie phantom 00-02 aka safari uni

What can be salvaged is sometimes sold if possible - sometimes a HS band might buy jackets - pants are usually completely worn out - jackets are the most easy to sell.

Is it me or are all Drum Corps Drum Major Uni's better than the corps uni's? I can't find an exception. I say switch up :)

Like SCV and The Cavaliers. But those I think are the only two exceptions.

I think some of the costume designers are letting their "personal biases" show through, which can unfortunately lead to more showing through than that. Ack.

I agree! :P Umm I thought

Phantom Regiment 2003 the guard looked like strippers, (but I liked it :P)

Phantom Regiment 2004 had the best uniforms of any guard ever

Santa Clara Vanguard 2004 had hot unis for the girls :)

This is not a "minor" alteration, but how I wish that Blue Knights would go back to the famous dots! Those jackets were unique, classy, and they made a statement. Their current uniforms are the very definition of the words "bland" and "generic." That's the one uniform change I would absolutely love to see. (They'd have to go back to the light grey pants and shoes, as well, of course.)

This is not a "minor" alteration, but how I wish that Blue Knights would go back to the famous dots! Those jackets were unique, classy, and they made a statement. Their current uniforms are the very definition of the words "bland" and "generic." That's the one uniform change I would absolutely love to see. (They'd have to go back to the light grey pants and shoes, as well, of course.)

Even though I've never been a Blue Knights fan, I always thought those dots made them stand out. And I think their members really were proud of them, since nobody else had anything like it. I had seen former members with those dots TATTOOED on themselves they were so proud! I thought it was a shame that they changed to something that is not Blue Knights.

Wouldn't it be cool if at a regional or something next year, DCI had a "throwback night"? Blue Knights could wear the dots, SCV could wear the longer coats circa 1989, Scouts could wear the all dark green with the sash circa 1975, Cavaliers could wear their 70's swashbuckling uniforms, Bluecoats could wear those baby blues from 1989, etc... probably would cost alot and be unreasonable, I know... but still!