• Stan Kenton
    • Woody Herman
    • Rob McConnell
    • Other

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Esrkine was on drums, Lin Biviano on lead trumpet (also played with Maynard and had his own band)

and did they cook that night. Stan, played some nice solo pieces that evening, and we will never forget it.

Lin Biviano is one of my favs. He also was in Rich's band, did the killer solo to Somewhere. When he was on, MAN!

Kenton had many fine leads, and a young Maynard was the man.

I don't know whether you know this or not, but Lin Biviano married the honky tonk piano player who was on the Lawrence Welk Show. Her name was Joanne Castle.

I saw them together on of the the PBS specials that show the old Welk shows, and she was hosting and intoduced her Lin.

CODI

MF was born May 4, 1928, making him only 77. My source is Wikepedia, the same place I found the definition of pedagogy. How's it going CODI?

Old Dorchester Guy:

Thank you for the info on MF!! I am looking forward to seeing and hearing him. I saw him with DK about two years ago at Ryles Jazz Club in Cambridge and what a show he put on.

Yes, the word PEDAGOGY will go down in history. I am not finished with that indidvidual.

If we ever meet I think you could sell out The Boston Garden.

Hope all is well with you and let's might at the Erie soon!!!

CODI

Beyond the obvious stuff that BD has done by Kenton, Nestico, Curnow, etc...

I would love to see someone take a at some of Brian Setzer's stuff.

THAT is an outstanding idea. Somebody could ROCK "Brand New Cadillac", among others.

I've seen MF at least 4 times. And I was at a show at the Holiday Inn in Peabody (but not in the 60's), think it was the 80's. Band came out into the audience for "Hey Jude" and almost blew the walls down.

But, (and I know they're not big band), but Tower of Power at the Paradise in Boston the first time I saw them was mind-blowing. I was sitting at this little table with George Zingali, and a few other staff members, and their lead singer, in "You're Still a Young Man", was standing RIGHT in front of us - like two feet away. When he sang "Down on my knees...", Zingali let out a scream that almost stopped the show!! Those of you who knew him can imagine. A pure Zingali moment. (And NO, I wasn't embarrassed - that was George!)

I just saw one of southern California's biggest and best bands in a rehearsal a week ago or so. The director is a friends with Goodwin of the Big Phat Band. Apparently he has a new record coming out soon, but let this band in so Cal transcribe his music for their field show. It was the hardest funkiest best music I've heard from ANY band in a long time, much less a 250 piece marching band. WOW!!!!!!!