Is Crown the new Star?

Crown = Star?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Is Crown the closest thing we have to Star nowadays?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will they be...?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Madalumni for helping out in educating people what that orginization was truly about.

No problem. I admire the philosophy and style of leadership.

Oh, and of coarse the product on the field...especially the 90-93 shows.

(proof to me that G hornlines can sound as well blended as Bb)

Edited by madalumni

But they're in it every year. That's precisely the point.

BTW, Steve Sorrell... "For longevity"? That sorta made me turn my head sideways like a puppy that doesn't get it.. arrou? Longevity was not *'s strong suit...

Read what Bill Cook has written about the corporations that supported Star in the beginning. He states that they continued to support Star after they left DCI. So their life didn't end in 93.

Oh, and another point. :)

To those who have been saying that Crown is trying to

emulate or immitate Star, remember that one

of the greatest artists - Picasso - when questioned

about his success and inspiration, simply replied: "I steal".

He took ideas from other artists and made them his own.

There's nothing wrong with immitation.

Good grief Charlie Brown....... OK...... Star had a corporate sponsor when they started, NO different than all the Div. 1 corps having sponsorship with companies for instruments and guard equipment. Star had a corporate sponsor that knew what he wanted and knew how to get things done in the business world. The only difference is that there was money in place for equipment and neccessities. In todays top corps, the companies are providing the corps with the equipment they need within reason.

The people at Star marched their butts off and for what...... So really stupid people can put them down today 12 years after the fact and not ask the why. People rather create their judgement without all the facts and that right there is a prime example of why Star is not marching today.

Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with it either. People hate Star cause they left, people hate Star cause they won't come back, and people just simply hate Star. I think its funny. No matter what people think, Star was a great corps that left lots of wonderful memories and that still have staff and member that are now staff throughout the drum corps community and have left their mark for everyone to see.

THE END

Has anyone said anyone here hates Star? Please go back and quote it. Please.

Otherwise, lose the "we got hated on" thing. It's tired.

Well, I have to admit that when I marched, I resented Star.

But it was pretty much because of being blinded by competition...

well that, and you guys stole Todd Ryan from us :P

But after aging out in 90 and becoming a spectator, my admiration

and respect grew for Star and Mr. Cook. Now, looking back, and reading

his article entitled "So you want to start a Drum Corps?" I feel the activity

needs more people like Bill Cook who have the vision for what they want

and the will and the knowledge to go after it.

As far as Crown being the new Star, I don't know, but they

are creating a unique identity for themselves.

By the way - here's the link to the afformentioned article by Mr. Cook:

http://www.cookgroup.com/star/

(It's the third article down on the right side.)

Jeff,

You are correct. Mr. Cook is a great person. More than that, he is a real person.

Sorry about stealing Todd Ryan but ya'll stole a pretty good Mello player from us. Jeff Freeland was our mello soloist in 87 then defected to the Scouts in 88. But, he's got a ring to show for it. lol..

Anyway, I've always been a fan of the Scouts. "Never Walk Alone" is one of my favorite songs.

Later,

Tony

IMO, I think with the Star staff that are on board it's more like Carolina Crown could be a "nephew" or "cousin" to the legacy of Star of Indiana, as you could look at the early Star of Indiana staff as a "legacy" of Garfield and some other programs from the mid 80's.

Remember how BD's visual scores went up in 1994 when Todd Ryan came on board? It's kind of the same thing. Good people doing good work.

Taking the lessons that DVD, Harloff and others are instilling and watching Crown grow into its own identity...after a few years of not

having staff stability...is something magical to behold.

On a more personal note, I forsee that Crown will take that "next step" programming wise very soon...maybe even in the next year. The kind of show that makes you sit up and look at the program in a different way.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking...but I guess we'll see. :)

ok, so im wondering why everyone thinks that crown has a staff consisting of mosly star of indiana people,

the design team consists of 6 people, Michael Klesch, jim coates, danny wiles, michael townsend, leon may and brian tinkle....none of which have any association with star of indiana except for tinkle, he did brass theatre, which you cant realy count, not that it matters the drumline was 12th..so hes not the answer for sure... so no star staff on the design team.

visual staff 8 people listed, none from star of indiana...at all..so none here

percussion... 6 people listed so nope there not hiding here either

colorguard staff.. 6 people listed none were ever with star of indiana, michael and katie townsend did blast, and rosie miller was the blast cast manager for a time...but blast is not star so that doesnt count either, on a side note, the guard has been the highest placing caption for three years now without exception...no star staff here either

brass staff,

michael kesch..arranger, not with star

matt harloff.. was the drum major for star...here we go one staffer..yet hes not even on tour half the summer..so maybe half a point!

bob chreste..cadets drum major... not star ever

andre feagin...phantom regiment drum major....not star ever

ben harloff..matts brother..yes he did star...but hes on tour way less than matt ..so ill be generous and say half a point here as well

barry hudson... yes star as well...but hes never there either, i think like two weeks spread out over the summer?

ryan summers...nope not star

then frank sullivan who did star also but never actually taught the corps at all, so i guess his name just looked pretty.

donnie van doren.. super star...but again doesnt teach the corps, his son marches there so he tags along a bit a few days of the summer, but once again doesnt actually tech or teach the corps.

so out of 33 people listed on there staff, only three people that teach the corps were ever part of or instructed by or with star of indiana, and for those three staffers, there time together on tour doent even add up to a full summer of time.

So someone please tell me how crown has an all star.. star of indiana staff?

ok, so im wondering why everyone thinks that crown has a staff consisting of mosly star of indiana people,

the design team consists of 6 people, Michael Klesch, jim coates, danny wiles, michael townsend, leon may and brian tinkle....none of which have any association with star of indiana except for tinkle, he did brass theatre, which you cant realy count, not that it matters the drumline was 12th..so hes not the answer for sure... so no star staff on the design team.

colorguard staff.. 6 people listed none were ever with star of indiana, michael and katie townsend did blast, and rosie miller was the blast cast manager for a time...but blast is not star so that doesnt count either, on a side note, the guard has been the highest placing caption for three years now without exception...no star staff here either

brass staff,

matt harloff.. was the drum major for star...here we go one staffer..yet hes not even on tour half the summer..so maybe half a point!

ben harloff..matts brother..yes he did star...but hes on tour way less than matt ..so ill be generous and say half a point here as well

barry hudson... yes star as well...but hes never there either, i think like two weeks spread out over the summer?

then frank sullivan who did star also but never actually taught the corps at all, so i guess his name just looked pretty.

donnie van doren.. super star...but again doesnt teach the corps, his son marches there so he tags along a bit a few days of the summer, but once again doesnt actually tech or teach the corps.

so out of 33 people listed on there staff, only three people that teach the corps were ever part of or instructed by or with star of indiana, and for those three staffers, there time together on tour doent even add up to a full summer of time.

I would really like to know how you know exactly what all of these people do for Carolina Crown. Since you do know all of that though... I bet you know about some of the other people that were not listed on staff.

:sshh:

brass staff,

It sounds like you're saying that the brass staff isn't really even there for most of the summer. Who's teaching them then? Oh and I believe Mr. Chreste was a member of Blast so I think he's studied under VanDoren before and has an understanding of the brass philosophy Star used.

Brian Tinkel didn't march Star of Indiana? Ummm I marched with the dude in '93. I bet he's not there for half the summer so I'll give him a half of a point (is that how you're scoring it). James Ancona? I guess he wasn't teaching the front ensemble when I was at Star either. He was probably never there so I'll give him zero points.

I'm not saying that Crown is the new Star, or that most of their staff came from Star (although most of the brass staff did), but if they keep their brass Staff intact, at bare minimum they will sound like Star and contend for Jim Ott in years to come.

yeah i guess crown doesnt have a staff during the summer according to that dude....since no one on staff seems to be there more than 2 weeks in his opinion

j/k