is drum corps a sport?

is drum corps a sport?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. is drum corps a sport?

• yes
    • no

Then why have the gentleman from Indiana State track the tenor form Cavaliers and then compare it to a marathon. There is as much energy expelled in a 11 minute show as someone halfway through a marathon. And its is rehearsed alllllllll day. And how many people have lost several sizes with their clothes from being in corps........ IT IS A SPORT!!! DUH!!!

No, it's not the same thing. Comparing the energy of drum corps to a marthon runner does not equate drum corps to a marathon runner (seriously, how many drum corps participants can actually run a marthon? Answer: very few) Training for the military probably uses the same amount of energy and that's not considered a sport, or maybe it should now??

The new PR for the Marines:

The Marines - The Ultimate Sporting Event :peek:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drum corps is an athletic form of art. not a sport.

Then why keep score?

Here's how I define a sport:

First and foremost, there is a governing body that makes rules and sanctions contests or events. DCI has this in its board of directors (and Nascar has Mike Helton)

Also, it must be possible to directly prevent your opponents from winning, While Nascar might have this, drum corps does not, so while it may have competitive and athletic aspects to it, it's not a sport by my definition.

Bowling and golf do not have defensive aspects either. Many consider these activities to be sports.

Edited by EdMedina

P.S. Golf is a game, not a sport. Actually, it's a good way to spoil a nice walk in the park. B)

Awwwwww he said it! After living on a golf course for the last 14 years of my life, I AGREE!

True, but in golf, you can't do something like tackle your opponent while he's teeing off. That's what I meant by "directly preventing your opponent from winning"; doing something that will actively hinder his chances of winning. So for Nascar, it would be either blocking or spinning out your opponent, baseball it would be striking out an opposing batter, running over the catcher on the way to home plate, etc. You can't really do something like that ind rum corps.

You can collectively max out your show better than the other guys did. Just like Tiger can take fewer strokes than Vijay.

Overheard in a neighborhood sports bar the night of the ESPN telecast:

"It can't be a sport if you wear sequins!"

Touche!

Was it created in order to entertain or so that you can have a ring?

I like to win, I like to compete, but I am well aware that without entertaining an audience, drum corps would not exist.

... nor would any other sport for that matter.

If it's a sport, then how do we account for the guys & gals in the pit?

Special teams?

Ballet is extremely physical, too. It's also not a sport.

It's also not scored, tabulated, ranked, etc.