is drum corps a sport?

is drum corps a sport?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. is drum corps a sport?

• yes
    • no

Please allow me to repost these DICTIONARY definitions from the first page of this thread.

SPORT (spôrt, sprt)

noun

1. a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

b. A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

3. An active pastime; recreation.

All three of these definitions perfectly describe drum corps. What else do you need?

Oh Orpheus? You can't really compare this to ballet, as it is strictly an art form and not a competition. Drum corps is a performing arts sport. There you go. Look it up.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please allow me to repost these DICTIONARY definitions from the first page of this thread.

SPORT (spôrt, sprt)

noun

1. a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

All three of these definitions perfectly describe drum corps. What else do you need?

Oh Orpheus? You can't really compare this to ballet, as it is strictly an art form and not a competition. Drum corps is a performing arts sport. There you go. Look it up.

Like I said, every argument I've seen to suggest that corps *is* a sport could also be logically applied to "So You Think You Can Dance" on Fox TV, or even "Dancing with the Stars" ...

Why do you people feel that it's so darn important to identify corps as a sport? Why do you want to force it into a mold that it doesn't really fit? Isn't just being drum & bugle corps good enough?

(Don't tell a professional dancer that ballet isn't a competition ... B) )

How about corps that don't compete like the US Marine Corps D&BC? How 'bout "blast!"?

(I know this is off topic, but...

I just googled for "ballet competitions," and I found multiple competitions:

http://www.nyibc.org/

http://www.usaibc.com/

http://www.balletrussian.org/rpusayouthballetcomp.htm

http://www.yagp.org/index.asp

sorry....

and now back to your regularly scheduled argument...)

edit:

Orpheus, I feel like we're tag-teaming a bit :)

Edited by mello_laurel

Like I said, every argument I've seen to suggest that corps *is* a sport could also be logically applied to "So You Think You Can Dance" on Fox TV, or even "Dancing with the Stars" ...

Why do you people feel that it's so darn important to identify corps as a sport? Why do you want to force it into a mold that it doesn't really fit? Isn't just being drum & bugle corps good enough?

(Don't tell a professional dancer that ballet isn't a competition ... B) )

How about corps that don't compete like the US Marine Corps D&BC? How 'bout "blast!"?

It doesn't fit the mold? Read the definition again!

The Marine corps and Blast is up to debate because it lacks the competition. I mean, some people call fishing a sport. And come to think of it, there are fishing competitions, so I wouldn't really argue with that. Something doesn't necessarily have to be physically abusive to be a sport. Take golf for example. But DCI and DCA is a sport for sure because it is official physical competition (among other things).

It doesn't fit the mold? Read the definition again!

Good dodge ... not answering my question. I ask again -- just from a psychological standpoint, why do you think it's so important to identify drum & bugle corps as a sport? Why isn't just being "drum & bugle corps" good enough?

So you're saying that you *DO* think "So You Think You Can Dance" is a sport?

P.S. Golf is a game, not a sport. Actually, it's a good way to spoil a nice walk in the park. B)

Edited by Orpheus

SPORT (spôrt, sprt)

noun

You can't always take dictionary definitions as THE absolute definition. This is just what one person came up with. This is what I found in the dictionary...

DRUM MAJOR

A person who leads a marching band, keeping time with a baton.

So if you don't have a baton, you're not a drum major? According to my dictionary, lots of these people waving their arms on podiums in front of bands and drum corps are FRAUDS! :P

um no.

Judged competition? you can make a judged competition out of anything. poker, Halo, curling, dog contests, America's Top Model, freestyle rapping. There's a judged contest to see who can write the most obfuscated piece of C code. Doesn't make it a sport.

Physicality? breakdancing, cheerleading, running on a treadmill, and farming are not sports.

Definition of sports? let's check out the wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports ... or how about a ctrl-F on the drum corps wikipedia for 'sport'... oops, phrase not found.

Cheerleading is a sport? if you said that to my face i would laugh. I'll still watch the competitions though.

i love drum corps for what it is.

so yeah, just as long as no one tells ESPN2 that it's not a sport we'll be fine...

Then why have the gentleman from Indiana State track the tenor form Cavaliers and then compare it to a marathon. There is as much energy expelled in a 11 minute show as someone halfway through a marathon. And its is rehearsed alllllllll day. And how many people have lost several sizes with their clothes from being in corps........ IT IS A SPORT!!! DUH!!!

Then why have the gentleman from Indiana State track the tenor form Cavaliers and then compare it to a marathon. There is as much energy expelled in a 11 minute show as someone halfway through a marathon. And its is rehearsed alllllllll day. And how many people have lost several sizes with their clothes from being in corps........ IT IS A SPORT!!! DUH!!!

If alot of physical activity was the only requirement for something being a sport, then helping a friend move into a new house with all that heavy lifting back and forth could be considered a sport. You can get alot of exercise by doing that. Yoga could also be considered a sport then. So could ballet and break dancing.

I just don't see why anyone needs to try to call drum corps a sport in order to VALIDATE it.

neither cheerleading nor drum corps are sports. i think if you say one is, the other must be as well. oh, and if drum corps is a sport, then marching band is definitely a sport.

Let's add to this list chess, checkers, video gaming, etc. If the definition is opened that wide, then other "sports" must be included.