Fastest corps?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While playing snare in Renegades ''03 we crabbed from the 20 yard line to the 50 at 200 bpm. Then went into a circle drill for 40 counts (fondly known as wax on - wax off) then back to the 20 yard line. Motoring back another 30 steps in reverse into an accelerondo for 6 measures while crabbing back towards the 50. The average age of the line was around 37 that year. 45 Myself.

We were seriously talking about mini oxygen tanks for the stick bags pre-season.

Dennis

While playing snare in Renegades ''03 we crabbed from the 20 yard line to the 50 at 200 bpm. Then went into a circle drill for 40 counts (fondly known as wax on - wax off) then back to the 20 yard line. Motoring back another 30 steps in reverse into an accelerondo for 6 measures while crabbing back towards the 50. The average age of the line was around 37 that year. 45 Myself.

We were seriously talking about mini oxygen tanks for the stick bags pre-season.

Dennis

Be proud that you can do it!! Good for you!

From the sound of it, I'd keel over.

93 Stars Media accelerated to well over 200

04 BD had the flutter step

03 SCV had probably the longest sustained fast tempo and marching. They didn't have an opening impact till well well in their show.

05 Cadets had some fast stuff going on.

02-04 Cavies had some fast tempos in their shows as well.

i think it was some sort of cynical comment about BD 03 being the greatest display of individual marching technique you'd ever seen...

Thanks for clarifying; to be honest, I probably wouldn't have percieved that from his post. (not sarcastic, if it appears so)

to respond to his post, in that case.....

For my personal liking. Their style when it comes to marching technique is my favorite in DCI (and therefore in the world, I guess), and they were most definitely on, that year/night/encore runthrough. The presence they had while in motion surpasses anything I've seen before or after. When marching backwards or at a slide, the effort they put forth into keeping their energy straight forward is incomparable, in my opinion. Upper body angles were outstanding, as were the lower bodies. How about instead of throwing around a condescending "insult" (though I'd prefer what you called me to the alternative), you suggest a corps that individually looked better while moving than BD did? And then I'll discard half of it, solely because it's their STYLE that I love; that particular show just showcased an incredible performance of it.

Edited by Jared_mello

Thanks for clarifying; to be honest, I probably wouldn't have percieved that from his post. (not sarcastic, if it appears so)

to respond to his post, in that case.....

For my personal liking. Their style when it comes to marching technique is my favorite in DCI (and therefore in the world, I guess), and they were most definitely on, that year/night/encore runthrough. The presence they had while in motion surpasses anything I've seen before or after. When marching backwards or at a slide, the effort they put forth into keeping their energy straight forward is incomparable, in my opinion. Upper body angles were outstanding, as were the lower bodies. How about instead of throwing around a condescending "insult" (though I'd prefer what you called me to the alternative), you suggest a corps that individually looked better while moving than BD did? And then I'll discard half of it, solely because it's their STYLE that I love; that particular show just showcased an incredible performance of it.

I am also a fan of the BD style of movement. When they are good, there is nothing better on the field. Unfortunately, the last time they reached this level of refinement was in 1999.

Now granted, they finally stepped up the difficulty of their visual program quite a bit from 2000 - 2003. But unfortunately, their movement technique has not grown to keep up with the demand. The blue devils of today just don't have the same refinement and strength in their upper bodies that they did during the 1990's. They also sacrifice their technique quite a bit more than Cavies or Cadets do when challenged with very fast tempos or very large stepsizes. Also...their jazz run technique, while fairly well refined from person to person, is created to not allow for the whole body to stay level during each step...did you see them hopping during their show this year? Now compare that to how Cavies jazz run...night and day.

They just aren't the same...and I miss the old Blue Devils who could march circles around everybody...

M

I think it's funny how you edited omello's comment to fit your bashing needs Titan. the "bounce" is something the Cadets do but it's uniformed. You won't see one person bouncing but you will see everyone do it if they are even doing it. After watching the cadets this past season i noticed that the bouncing has dramatically decreased from the past years i have seen them. And even with the bounce it must be working because afterall they did tie the all time high score in DCI. I don't think your in any position to argue with that one.

craaaaaaaaazy straight leg scissoring for cadets. so many kids go home due to stress fractures or knee injuries. that's some intense knee demand.

i always thought the bounce exaggeration came with the cottony plumes.