Did the Bluecoats challenge your thinking?

i like how their name is bluecoats and their uniform color is blue...matches up nice

seems like coincidence to me, but i'm a simpleton...which means i'm a simple guy or gal

any contributing links associated with this topic are welcomed!

LOL! Yeah, I always thought that was nifty too! Maybe just to stir things up they should come out in 2006 with yellow and purple coats with turquoise pants! :P

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There are still 525,600 reasons that it shouldn't be allowed."

I like how you threw in the 525,600 in your post. lol

Can you name all 525,600 reasons? That's minutes not reasons.

Back on topic, as for the Coats I really liked what they tried to do but thevocals never came across. there were some shows that it worked great toward the begining of the year and then by the end they had them turned down so much you never heard them. Some shows it never worked until the second time the vocals came in. I would have liked for them to have ben much better balanced and better sound quality and it would have been perfect. I loved the effect that was intended.

i think an important point to differentiate in this discussion, is this: (for those that did not care for it)

1- did you dislike it because it WAS amplification or

2- did you dislike it when compared to the range of other amplified sounds out there?

if you hated it for the simple fact that it was amplified- than thats great and all, but it doesnt really mean that much... with that philisophy, it doesnt matter how clever or effective the use of amplification is, you will still dislike it... and thats your perogative, but when there are threads such as this that discuss the effectiveness (that being the key word) of the use of amplification, you are more or less falsely influincing the vote towards the negative because your dislike is in spite of the quality of the use, not because of the quality...

and hey- could someone explain the meaning of the 525,600 thing? what is that number from? i looked all over this thread and didnt really see anywhere where it was explained so i take it that the number was from something else already discussed before this thread...?

Edited by randomguy

Well i gotta admit i actually kinda liked the Bluecoats vocals...maybe because they weren't over-bearingly loud. As others have already said, it just sounds awful and totally out of place to suddenly have an amplified human voice cutting through the acoustic ensemble sound. I cant even listen to most of the Cadets drumspeak because its just TOO LOUD and obnoxious. Even their narration in the beginning didnt bother me as much as the drumspeak.

and hey- could someone explain the meaning of the 525,600 thing? what is that number from? i looked all over this thread and didnt really see anywhere where it was explained so i take it that the number was from something else already discussed before this thread...?

(See: Crown 2004)

(See: Crown 2004)

That show had a FANTASTIC opener by the way... :rolleyes:

i think an important point to differentiate in this discussion, is this: (for those that did not care for it)

1- did you dislike it because it WAS amplification or

2- did you dislike it when compared to the range of other amplified sounds out there?

if you hated it for the simple fact that it was amplified- than thats great and all, but it doesnt really mean that much... with that philisophy, it doesnt matter how clever or effective the use of amplification is, you will still dislike it... and thats your perogative, but when there are threads such as this that discuss the effectiveness (that being the key word) of the use of amplification, you are more or less falsely influincing the vote towards the negative because your dislike is in spite of the quality of the use, not because of the quality...

since i saw a members copy of the dvd, i disliked it because it did not fit in the show. it sounded obtrusive, a glaringly audible moment that did not work well with the rest of the ensemble.

the best part of the show, IMO, was the keys playing a one handed roll while playing split parts on the log drums