Recruiting new members

We are just starting a new all age senior corps in Portland, Oregon. I’m wondering what other corps, have done to recruit new membership. We have about eleven members, so far and would love to be huge. We have a great facility to rehearse, and I know that there are more people in our area that would love to be involved. I would love to hear some of your success stories or good ideas on recruiting. We need to roll up our sleeves and get busy, but we could use some good ideas.

honesty. dont sell the potential members on world titles and stuff. tell them it's a growing process, but in a year or 4, the results could be incredible

We are just starting a new all age senior corps in Portland, Oregon. I’m wondering what other corps, have done to recruit new membership. We have about eleven members, so far and would love to be huge. We have a great facility to rehearse, and I know that there are more people in our area that would love to be involved. I would love to hear some of your success stories or good ideas on recruiting. We need to roll up our sleeves and get busy, but we could use some good ideas.

First you need to determine what age's you are going to allow.If its a true all age corps try hitting some of the high schools.See if the band directors will let you come in and throw a sales pitch and hand out some fliers.

Start going to DCI shows in your area and handing out fliers.Having a hospitality booth or information booth at these events stirs up a lot of interest.

Hand out fliers at the Regal Cinema events.There is your target audience right there.

High School marching band contest might yield some adults in the audience.We at MCL are just now starting to do that.

Promoting on DCP has sure been a good thing for our corps.get as many of your embers active on the boards pitching for your corps as you can.

best of luck to you and see you at DCA finals.

I recommend kidnapping1 b**bs

It solves two problems new corps have:

1) You get bodies

2) MONEY!!

Seriously, be honest with people. You may also try to remind some of us "Olde Pharts" of the comraderie(sp?) that is involved. I for one have great memories of my junior corps days, but I likewise relish the friendships that I have developed in senior corps.

Best of luck.

/Remember we fat people are harder to kidnap. Go for the skinny ones. ^0^

I recommend kidnapping1 b**bs

Kidnapping is how we started, but It’s been allot of work keeping their cages clean and all the resources it takes to keep them alive is causing a strain on our cash flow, but they are some top notch players.

What we found to work is to word the ransom note like this:

"Pay us $XXXXXXX dollars, OR we'll send them back!!" b**bs

/Works every time.

Get in touch with Chris Nalls. Remember, Renegades only had 7 members back when they started.

Also see if there's a youth band or junior corps you can affiliate with. It will help your credibility.

You may want to set your lower age limit at 18 unless a parent is also involved, for liability reasons.

Ed Mason is correct when he says to try the local high school marching band competitions. Placing flyers under windshield wipers at these events works surprisingly well.

Good luck.

Rice

Edited by rwrice

Remember we fat people are harder to kidnap. Go for the skinny ones. ^0^

somewhere in there, there's a t-shirt just waiting to be made! b**bs

somewhere in there, there's a t-shirt just waiting to be made! b**bs

Just remember, I get 10% of all sales!! :P