Best Brass Sound in 2005!

My personal opinion is that a lot of hornlines achieved great things this year... actually, I think we are on our way into what might be some kind of golden age of drum corps! Anyway...

Here are two that I thought achieved the best sound:

Phantom Regiment - When the whole hornline was playing at full volume, I really appreciated their sound. However, I found that between the mf-f dynamic level, some edged out at times, achieving what I heard as a sort of buzzy sound, in comparison to the rich texture they achieve at full volume.

Carolina Crown - Yes... wall of sound... what a dark, rich texture they produce. It's somehow unique and different from other "rich, dark" hornlines I have heard but I can't put my finger on why... if you are interested, check out the last chord at the end of their opener... all I can say is... YES.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand and respect the decision of the judges for the High Brass Award. The question was the best brass sound, and if THAT is truly the question, then I think Phantom and Crown were the clear choice there.

Just the opinion of another old fart.

Later, AA

My Favorites were Bluecoats and Crown

very good balnce and alot of cool stuff in the bluecoats book

1) The Cadets - THAT BALLAD MY GOD

2) Phantom Regiment - They always have a great sound.

1) The Cadets - THAT BALLAD MY GOD

The Cadets ballad from this year I would agree that it is one of the best ballads played. The arrangement was certainly top notch, and they did play it well. However, do you honestly feel that they produced the best overall sound? In my opinion (and not to take anything away from the Cadets, since I do feel they deserved the brass championship and they play incredibly well), I always feel like their sound can be somewhat tinny in the upper register/medium dynamic levels.

Am I alone in thinking this?

I always feel like their sound can be somewhat tinny in the upper register/medium dynamic levels.

Am I alone in thinking this?

you're not alone on that one.

::stands next to soprano3::

=P