Salute to Past Senior Corps

OK, you're just out of Show Designers School (just go along with it OK ) and you just received your first job offer. Someone with two very deep pockets started up a new corps and wants you to design their show. After you peel yourself off the ceiling you listen to the details.

Deep pocket #1 paid for all the equipment.

Deep pocket #2 is paying for staff and tour expenses.

Deep pocket #3 is going to pay for the new music to be written.

OH ####, didn't I just say someone had TWO deep pockets, not three. The person on the other end will get back to you.......

Few days later you get an answering maching message from your caller and the job is still open. Then there is a long pause.... The deal is the music will be provded free to the new corps IF.... all music is from Senior corps that no longer exist. You can pick whatever songs you want from defunct corps but remember this is your first chance to show the Drum Corps community what <state your name> can do.

Feel free to post a whole show or individual songs if that helps. Also give ideas of what the visuals will look like (you are providing the whole package).

OK, you're just out of Show Designers School (just go along with it OK ) and you just received your first job offer. Someone with two very deep pockets started up a new corps and wants you to design their show. After you peel yourself off the ceiling you listen to the details.

Deep pocket #1 paid for all the equipment.

Deep pocket #2 is paying for staff and tour expenses.

Deep pocket #3 is going to pay for the new music to be written.

OH ####, didn't I just say someone had TWO deep pockets, not three. The person on the other end will get back to you.......

Few days later you get an answering maching message from your caller and the job is still open. Then there is a long pause.... The deal is the music will be provded free to the new corps IF.... all music is from Senior corps that no longer exist. You can pick whatever songs you want from defunct corps but remember this is your first chance to show the Drum Corps community what <state your name> can do.

Feel free to post a whole show or individual songs if that helps. Also give ideas of what the visuals will look like (you are providing the whole package).

Hmmmmm, how 'bout "Firebird Suite/Light My Fire" by Phoenix, "Something" by Crusaders (1990).

Hmmmmm, how 'bout "Firebird Suite/Light My Fire" by Phoenix, "Something" by Crusaders (1990).

1975 Phoenix still one of my favorites to listen to.

Thinking of "We Are the Musketeers" from Archie as an opening fanfare. Start very soft and build to RYFO (rip your face off).

Having problems with the closer - Yankee Rebels "Shenandoah" or Les Diplomates "Bridge Over Troubled Waters".

And of course if you have Archer Epler music in the show, them bad boys from the other part of Philly (aka Reilly Raiders) want to be heard too.

Thinking of "We Are the Musketeers" from Archie as an opening fanfare. Start very soft and build to RYFO (rip your face off).

I am biased but "We are the Musketeers" is the best fanfare in drum corps. After all these years, it still gives me goose bumps to play it.

Closing with Shenandoah is good because it sounds good going off the field but we always close with Johnny Comes Marching Home.

I was going to suggest using the Skyliners' "Little Ol' New York" as an opener.....

But then I read Jim's full post and realized the music has to come from a senior corps that is no longer active competitively. That, of course, does NOT apply to the Skyliners!

So:

I'll go with Yankee Rebels' 1969 version of "Waitin' for the Robert E. Lee/Alexander's Ragtime Band" for an opener. Great Truman Crawford chart!

Concert tune would be Rhode Island Matadors' version of "Malaguena" circa 1977.... with Ritchee Price and Jim Centerino on solos, of course!

The rest of the show..... wow. Haven't made any decisions. Lots of good stuff to choose from.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Here's my thoughts so far:

Fanfare - We Are the Mousekateers oops Musketeers ^0^ Archer Epler Musketeers

OTL - Firebird Suite/Light my Fire - Phoenix (thanks Keith) With the larger size three valve horns - OH BABY.

First Drum Solo - Yankee Rebels second drum solo from 1975 (Gotta have a John Flowers solo somewhere)

Concert - ???? Still thinking as this show sounds long.....

After Concert - Mexican Hat Dance - Matadors fun song (screamers on the last push)

Second Drum Solo - Sing Sing Sing 79/80 Westshoremen (gotta have us somewhere)

Closer - Bridge Over Troubled Waters - 72 Les Diplomats (the full blast intro still gives me chills)

Ending fanfare - Start the 72 Les Dips closer until the last 3 or 4 chords. Then instead of blowing out the crowd (full corps at front sideline) with the ending, slip into last two lines of Reillys "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling". Yep, still full blast and with that high note solo on the second note of "Breath" (Any one who's heard the end of their show knows what I mean. :blink: )

And Robbie - Just bought the 81(?) DCA CD with Archie on it. First time I heard "We Are the Musketeers" with a full horn line in years. b**bs

Edit - Just read Frans edit and realize I'm missing Colonel Crawford arrggghhh! Ain't being a show designer fun? Hmmm, "Waiting for the Robert E Lee" with the special effect smoke stacks.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Edit - Just read Frans edit and realize I'm missing Colonel Crawford arrggghhh! Ain't being a show designer fun? Hmmm, "Waiting for the Robert E Lee" with the special effect smoke stacks.

Forgot about that one myself. Okay. Musketeers fanfare on the line and WFREL off the line. I'm getting my 2 corps together for the opener!