Buffalo, NY

On Div 2/3 tour this year (2005), my corps was one of many that decided to compete at the Buffalo, NY. show. When we arrived, the sight was in what I would believe to be the poorest and least safe places in the US. There were projects and police sirens and even some gun fire(really) all surrounding the sight. Also, the school was not large enough to allow every corps enough space to warm up properly. We ended up in a parking lot of one of the many projects with two condemned houses surrounding. We began our warm up to angry shouts and complaints. When we were ready to walk to the show, we were harrassed by what seemed like almost 100 people(having my shako low, I wasn't able to see clearly nor did I want to break the tradition of our focused "god" walking). They were making fun of us and counting our african-american members at near-shout to see how we compare to their previously harrassed corps. Many also broke our ranks. It was the worst show I have ever been or heard of in my life! How can DCI allow such sights?

:(

I would be very happy to hear of any other members that had been to this sight with their corps and their thoughts.

Know this: I am not bashing the people of Buffalo, NY. and am not trying to subject anyone to any stereotypes.

Thank You for your response.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done a few of those shows since I've been marching. After awhile it's kinda funny. 2001, in Erie PA these two brats on bikes kept riding by during our hornarc and yelling stuff, after about 5 minutes of that our brass instructor chased him and he hit a wall. Another time in 2002, Dekalb, IL. We're rehearsing for DCM Prelims and these punks were throwing rocks and yelling at us from like about 50 yards away. I guess they thought that was far. visual instructor told us to ut our horn down and chase the punks away, and us being in drumcorps.. running 50 yards is a breeze.

Good times.

My rookie year some brats threw a rock that hit one of our mellies square in the ribs. Left a hefty bruise I remember. That was in Canada though. in 2003 we had more issues on the road with some creepy guy scoping out our guard at rehearsal with binoculars. The cops were called immediately. I haven't had issues of that nature since. Outside of the usual heckling, and utterly ignorable comments I hear.

Finals in Buffalo was rather pleasant IMO in 2001. Of course our show was at Rich stadium (If remember correctly). I dunno what venue Kevin is referring to, though it sounds like I might have lost my cool. I'm as easy going as the next guy, though I am VERY defensive of my corps. Call it a side effect of marching with my younger sister for 4 years. The only thing that would have kept me out of direct confrontation would be my uniform.

I do believe DCI wishes to scope out show sites beforehand to assure it will be feasible for a show. Though I have had my fair share of cramped warm-ups, tracking through less than desirable areas, etc... I think more attention should be paid not only to space, but frankly the quality of the surrounding neighborhood. It sounds like kids with Fever at that show could have been in harms way. Which is not acceptable in any light.

Edited by Phirefenix

I wasn't there this year so I can't comment on it. But during 2001 finals I did feel like the area was a little shady (I realize that they shows were not at the same venue). I'm sure Buffalo is just like any big city in the US and has its nice parts and not so nice parts. Our corps didn't stay in Buffalo for the World Championships though, we stayed in a great little small town called Hornell. It was a great place to stay.

Maybe DCI should consider a new site for its Buffalo show

Edited by Selly

Hey Lee,

What did you guys have to deal with?

I'd like to start a petition to have the show sight removed.

If it wasn't safe at Dunn Tire Park, they wouldn't have had it there. Trust me, you were safe! Ralph Wilson Stadium is better for the BIG show but Dunn Tire Park is good for the smaller show. University of Buffalo has a nice stadium but the field is to far away from the stands. Marion, OH was rough too as was Butler. No problems anywhere.

remember though, show sites are determined by that show's sponsor/coordinator and not DCI. Instead of petitioning, I would suggest you contact the show sponsor for this Buffulo show and discuss it with them. So instead of petitioning to remove it (and possibly taking away a fundraising opportunity for another group), petition to have it moved to a better location or something. They'll have to listen if corps decide not to sign up for that show due to safety issues.