why HS hashes and College hases?

Please tell me that someone has thought that through?????????

To answer your first question, Fred Mason :laugh: it was done like that to make marching more difficult for you. The people in scholastic and college football got together one day and said, "There's this guy Fred Mason... so let's make marching harder for him". B)

A soccer field is larger than football in width and (I think) in length as well. (You always wanted to hear that from me) So lining a soccer field for marching isn't a problem... unless the atheletic department has a problem with it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Empire Statesmen rehearse at Total Sports Experience in the Rochester area on a soccer field. They've been doing that since 2002 so they're a little used to overlaying a football field on a soccer field.

Darn glad to hear that.

To answer your first question, Fred Mason :laugh: it was done like that to make marching more difficult for you. The people in scholastic and college football got together one day and said, "There's this guy Fred Mason... so let's make marching harder for him". B)

A soccer field is larger than football in width and (I think) in length as well. (You always wanted to hear that from me) So lining a soccer field for marching isn't a problem... unless the atheletic department has a problem with it.

"Soccer is played on a rectangular field, traditionally called a pitch, which must be between 100 and 130 yards long and 50 to 100 yards wide." http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/JenniferYu.shtml

"Rectangular. 100 yards long plus two 10-yard end zones (Bringing the total length to 120 yards). The field is 160 feet wide. Bounded by sidelines and endlines." http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/NinTam.shtml

Regualtion soccer field may vary from venue to venue. However, most high schools use the 100x53 yard model. Colleges vary, depending on if they are located in a football stadium or on a stand-alone complex.

The last few years DCA has had both college (taped) and high school hashes (painted) at championships because the stadium in Scranton hosts football games in the fall, and the field is ready-painted for that.

Frankly, it shouldn't matter which hashes you use when creating a show, since they are references only. Just be prepared for either or both to be visible at shows.

I thought staring in 2004 DCA said that they were only going to paint the college hashes.

I know in 2003 we used HS, and were at a number of fields that only had college, including Finals.

I know, it didn't matter! :P

Just be prepared for either or both to be visible at shows.

We have a winner :)

Oh crickey!! WHERE'S CHARLIE GROH TO EXPLAIN HIS VERSION OF HASH MARKS!!!!!! He explained it to me on the phone one day, and by the end of what he was saying, I believe he actually accidentally revealed the true mathematical answer to life itself.

When I write for So Cal Dream, I use paper that has BOTH hash marks...two at the 28 and two at the 32. And the center X is the same. It works.

And yeah...the mathematics are off a bit so that you really aren't 28 real steps...but...it doesn't really matter in the long run. Drill is just mathematical approximations where you're "supposed" to go. We all know it doesn't end up that way.

Oh crickey!! WHERE'S CHARLIE GROH TO EXPLAIN HIS VERSION OF HASH MARKS!!!!!! He explained it to me on the phone one day, and by the end of what he was saying, I believe he actually accidentally revealed the true mathematical answer to life itself.

When I write for So Cal Dream, I use paper that has BOTH hash marks...two at the 28 and two at the 32. And the center X is the same. It works.

And yeah...the mathematics are off a bit so that you really aren't 28 real steps...but...it doesn't really matter in the long run. Drill is just mathematical approximations where you're "supposed" to go. We all know it doesn't end up that way.

Dress to the form!

Why cant they all just be the same?? kinda weird