Arms Up During Flips - We Did It.....

For further rifle discussion.....Lancer Fi, I recall Boston's rifle line in 78-79-80 spinning "doubletime" and then actually go one more level to "one-handed doubletime".....I think you guys did this as well. Was this an East Coast thing, because I don't recall seeing many other rifle lines do it.

Also, since most modern rifle lines don't spin more than 4 counts in a row, it seems as though the old doubletime is a thing of the past.....any thoughts? (Some of the most dramatic moments in "old school" drum corps were, imo, features of these two incredibly sharp rifle lines.....)

You are right about most modern rifle lines. The technique of doubletime or doublefast has been lost through the years. However, some of us continue to teach that technique even though it isn't usually used in a performance. I do know one of my students that I taught showed Crossmen's rifle line how to do it. You know what, they were thrilled to be able to do it! I've always believed history repeats itself....in this case many "old school" moves will be seen again. :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the yearbooks had a cartoon showing a rifle spinning in orbit and down on earth the caption bubble said "Ok Hartowicz now let's see you catch it". That boy was a gorilla at throwing the old "real" rifle. I think he would admit he loved to show-off a bit to some of the other rifle lines that were using the "toy" rifles.

Hey Pete

I remember in 1975 outside a dorm room at Anneville PA Hartowicz and some geek named Brubaker from Reading Bucs were standing there in the freeking light from a street lamp throwng the "toys" and the "real" rifles somwhere above the lamp and then catching them. I thought someone was gonna get hurt but they just kept dueling ..higher and higher....

You are so right ...he does love to show the kids a thing or 2. Still gotta ask him about the arms in his time ...or just pull out the Chronicles and look.

Nice meeting you at Naperville this summer.

Not only do I just LOVE LancerFi, but am getting the hots for Malibu for 'splaining all this arm/rifle toss stuff - still don't visualize that straight arm thing that Nancy originally was describing but it no longer matters - we got pics of rifle tosses here - one of the very coolest and most difficult things I remember from the "old school" of Drum Corps!!!

:worthy: - to Nancy AND Malibu!!!

:unsure::peek::peek: ....I'm blushing here RobH.....or as Nancy would say, "heah."

Edited by Malibu

Hey Pete

I remember in 1975 outside a dorm room at Anneville PA Hartowicz and some geek named Brubaker from Reading Bucs were standing there in the freeking light from a street lamp throwng the "toys" and the "real" rifles somwhere above the lamp and then catching them. I thought someone was gonna get hurt but they just kept dueling ..higher and higher....

You are so right ...he does love to show the kids a thing or 2. Still gotta ask him about the arms in his time ...or just pull out the Chronicles and look.

Nice meeting you at Naperville this summer.

Nice meeting you too. I seem to recall a similar incident with Hartowicz and one of the guys from Madison. It was a real duel with Chris claiming that he could do anything the Scouts could do with the "wimp" rifles.

Regarding the arm thing, I think I have a photo from the 1971 show with the rifles doing that move. One arm was straight up in the air. If I remember right Steve Suslik was in front. Haven't found that pic in my archives but it could be buried in an old program book or something like that.

Edited by PJS53

When I read the first post, I knew exactly what she meant, and I'm a tenorplayer.

Oh well, I did winterguard for one year, but that was just flag and dance.

You guys need to look at the guard more often, and I'm not even an old-schooler, I wasn't even born when they did those tosses, I just know my history. :P

For further rifle discussion.....Lancer Fi, I recall Boston's rifle line in 78-79-80 spinning "doubletime" and then actually go one more level to "one-handed doubletime".....I think you guys did this as well. Was this an East Coast thing, because I don't recall seeing many other rifle lines do it.

Also, since most modern rifle lines don't spin more than 4 counts in a row, it seems as though the old doubletime is a thing of the past.....any thoughts? (Some of the most dramatic moments in "old school" drum corps were, imo, features of these two incredibly sharp rifle lines.....)

Unfortunately, I cannot go to the video to see BAC as I only have top 12 shows, but I'd love to see that, I don't recall what you mention.

I absolutely loved BACs line, I'll put this picture here in honor of them. It's been up before, but it's worth repeating, I loved that uniform!!!! Thanks to boston1977 for sharing this picture!!!

BAC1977.jpg

Oooh, I didn't think the picture above would show so big! Sorry!!!!

Edited by LancerFi

Great picture, Nancy! Thanks! I actually marched with several of these ladies---and got a chance to see them in Foxboro last summer. They were awesome! I can name three of them, but I bet boston1977 can name'em all!

Great picture, Nancy! Thanks! I actually marched with several of these ladies---and got a chance to see them in Foxboro last summer. They were awesome! I can name three of them, but I bet boston1977 can name'em all!

Yes, unfortunately, they don't have a rifle line in the senior corps. I sure wish they did!

I was wondering, I believe we had a BAC alum in the 94 rifle line, but I'm not sure, I'll put a piece of her name here to see if you know her: Maureen Bur......

Do you know her and if so, do you know what years she marched?

I must find boston1977....

I'm not sure but we used to spin backwards which I believe we called a karate chop or something ridiculous like that. But I think that spin backwards with one had did look like double time, we did it with the right hand. At first it was just a piece of a full move, then we did it during early drum solos, and going into concert in 1979.....you could get it going pretty fast! Not sure if that's what you've mentioned, but it could be!