Back in The Day

I bought the VCR version of 2003 recently and finally sat down and watched the whole thing last night. I was amazed at how the activity has changed in just 2 years.

The main reason I bought the full version was to have Glassmen and Southwind who obviously didn't make the DVD that year. I wanted to see if G'Men were really as clean as I remembered (they were) and much more creative. I must admit, though, that this was probably the epitome of the "Boring our way into your hearts" shows they were known for.

As to Southwind, I was pleasantly surprised. I knew they had a horrible couple of weeks leading up to championships and when I saw them in Allentown, things looked really bleak. They did quite a job considering.......... I think people will look back with fondness on "yellow team". While their scores have improved since, the last couple of years of re-hashed band shows just don't match up with the serious drum corps programs of the MDBCA years.

But overall, what a difference! No doors, ladders, singing, yowzas, Orson Wells imitators, cheesy props (OK PC had their cubes) but it was basically really good drum corps. I'm not pining away for 1973. This was 2003. Bb brass. Only 2 YEARS AGO! How did we sink so quickly?

I don't think DCI has sunk at all....I frankly think 2004 and 2005 were fantastic years in DCI, right along with 2003.

I bought the VCR version of 2003 recently and finally sat down and watched the whole thing last night. I was amazed at how the activity has changed in just 2 years.

The main reason I bought the full version was to have Glassmen and Southwind who obviously didn't make the DVD that year. I wanted to see if G'Men were really as clean as I remembered (they were) and much more creative. I must admit, though, that this was probably the epitome of the "Boring our way into your hearts" shows they were known for.

As to Southwind, I was pleasantly surprised. I knew they had a horrible couple of weeks leading up to championships and when I saw them in Allentown, things looked really bleak. They did quite a job considering.......... I think people will look back with fondness on "yellow team". While their scores have improved since, the last couple of years of re-hashed band shows just don't match up with the serious drum corps programs of the MDBCA years.

But overall, what a difference! No doors, ladders, singing, yowzas, Orson Wells imitators, cheesy props (OK PC had their cubes) but it was basically really good drum corps. I'm not pining away for 1973. This was 2003. Bb brass. Only 2 YEARS AGO! How did we sink so quickly?

"How did we sink":

Ask "George" my pretties, ask "George".....

Elphaba

I don't think DCI has sunk at all....I frankly think 2004 and 2005 were fantastic years in DCI, right along with 2003.

Absolutely :rock:

woot! 2003 rules!

(ok... again... i'm aliiiiittle biased)

woot! 2003 rules!

I must agree there my fellow.