$100 hypothetical bet #3

The Academy - to win  

134 members have voted

1. 1. The Academy will finish? (O/U p1.5D2)

• Win D2 in 2006
    • 2nd place or lower D2 in 2006

And please, lets not mention numbers. We all know that numbers don't matter, especially after the last two seasons. I think it's pretty obvious. Small and good will always beat big and not as good, simple as that. Not saying Academy isn't good so don't take it the wrong way.

I think by "impressive numbers," the earlier poster was talking about scores, not size ... Last season, during the early shows in California, Academy was scoring about 9 to 10 points (or more) ahead of Impulse and Fever whereas in Foxboro, East Coast Jazz and Spartans were about 4 to 7 points ahead of those same corps. That doesn't necessarily mean that Academy could have maintained that same kind of lead over the course of a full season, especially since I figure their show was designed to "peak" earlier than corps that competed all the way through DCI Championships, but it certainly put them into the discussion.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nobody seemed to answer my question on the last page...hmmm why not? can east coast corps not come all the way out Cali? is there some excuse for it or something? and if i remember correctly when i was in the theaters for the quarter finals or semis whatever it was for DIV I, they showed a preview of the DIV II/III winner and i didn't think that the winner was all that great. When I saw Academy out in Cali I thought that their show was much better than what i heard/saw in the theaters that evening...i thought they had a much more mature sound as do the top corps in DIV I...But i'd like to hear the opinion of someone who saw both academy and the DIV II/III winner...is there anybody out there?

I can't believe this is still going. Anyways. Finals were in Denver last year, that's pretty west-ish for the east coast corps. madison is midwest and I love it. Finals are in Cali next year and I'm more than positive plenty of east coast corps will make it out there and still compete at the same high level they always do, which every corps does for that matter. The only difference between going out west and staying on the east coast is that now the east coast corps will most likely have more shows over a longer extended tour. it should be fun and interesting to see.

nobody seemed to answer my question on the last page...hmmm why not? can east coast corps not come all the way out Cali? is there some excuse for it or something? and if i remember correctly when i was in the theaters for the quarter finals or semis whatever it was for DIV I, they showed a preview of the DIV II/III winner and i didn't think that the winner was all that great. When I saw Academy out in Cali I thought that their show was much better than what i heard/saw in the theaters that evening...i thought they had a much more mature sound as do the top corps in DIV I...But i'd like to hear the opinion of someone who saw both academy and the DIV II/III winner...is there anybody out there?

As far as east coast corps taking the trip west, we will have to in 07 anyways. We don't tour out west mostly due to the fact that alot of money is involved. Would you rather an east coast corps take a national tour and fold? Or take a tour they will handle, and remain financially sound? That's one of the advantages of Div. 2/3. We hold no obligation to anyone to make a national tour. I can say the same, and complain about Academy not coming east, and you will have an excuse for that right? Money? Reason X? The glove can go on either hand my friend.

Regarding your comment about the Academy sounding better than the champs. I can't judge for sure. I've heard very little of either. Though in any case, there are people out there every summer who's job it is to decided that. The judges. So let them pick who sounds better mmkay? We can sit here, and argue back and forth until tour. Though in the end, the judges will tell us who is better. So why not just wait, and find out?

and if i remember correctly when i was in the theaters for the quarter finals or semis whatever it was for DIV I, they showed a preview of the DIV II/III winner and i didn't think that the winner was all that great. When I saw Academy out in Cali I thought that their show was much better than what i heard/saw in the theaters that evening...i thought they had a much more mature sound as do the top corps in DIV I...But i'd like to hear the opinion of someone who saw both academy and the DIV II/III winner...is there anybody out there?

Wouldn't disagree, Prelims was just an off day for most of the DIV2 corps. I heard both shows, well heard preseason audio from Academy, and I will say say they have a big, rich sound like the corps that placed 12-15 place DIV1 corps.

Your Top 3 Returning Div 2 finalist corps are ECJ, Spartan and Teal Sound. Being from Teal myself i'm wishing them a great year. Just because the Academy had impressive scores, they weren't running a full tour. You have to have a totally different strategy to make that great final push at finals, or super mega grand finals of the universe. Whatever DCI chooses to call it this year. Though it will be interesting. Have any Div 3 corps decided to go Div 2 yet. I'd love to see what Raiders could do.

Never said it was. No worries. We understand how it must suck for you guys to come out here all the time, which is probably one of the reasons they're having finals in CA in 07. and you're right, I would imagine this will cause financial issues for the corps that they have never had to deal with before. It shall be fun though. :)