What took so long

Now that you have 3 successful All Age corps out west, I wonder up until 5 years ago, what took so long for this to happen? With all of the great junior corps out west to chose from, one would think putting together a Senior Corps would be easy. But I guess not. I herd there's so much to do out west that after you age out, you just move on with your life...........marriage, career, school. I'm not from the west coast, so maybe someone better qualified, can answer about the drum corps enviroment out west. Help me out.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you have 3 successful All Age corps out west, I wonder up until 5 years ago, what took so long for this to happen? With all of the great junior corps out west to chose from, one would think putting together a Senior Corps would be easy. But I guess not. I herd there's so much to do out west that after you age out, you just move on with your life...........marriage, career, school. I'm not from the west coast, so maybe someone better qualified, can answer about the drum corps enviroment out west. Help me out.

That's an excellent question. I don't have the answer, but I can tell you that when Renegades started to get up and running, it was not considered "cool" to join a senior corps. In fact, most people looked at us like we were crazy when we asked them to join. California just did not have that same tradition of a long and very strong senior corps circuit, like the East Coast had with DCA. When you aged out, you were expected to ... errr ... I dunno. Do something else.

Anyway, things have turned around out here, of course. Now, all the cool people march senior corps ... lol.

:music:

I would love to learn more about the recent history (pre-Renegades) of West Coast Senior corps... I remember a corps, Conquistadors? from LA, and I thought there was another one at a time

I would love to learn more about the recent history (pre-Renegades) of West Coast Senior corps... I remember a corps, Conquistadors? from LA, and I thought there was another one at a time

There was the South San Francisco Conquistadors???? I think they were a late 70's junior corps. Heck, my hair stylist still remembers them (and still lives in SSF)........

At one point there was supposedly the 49-ers. A group of southern california Freelancers that got together and did local parades and the likes. Not that the northern contingent was that fond of the seperate identity and division of corps such an element presented. Supposedly in the early 80's, maybe 70's.

Before my time, only heard about it as a result of the southern element of my time making t-shirts in the late 80's. And some of the old timers going oh ..... not again.... Back when I marched......

Now that you have 3 successful All Age corps out west, I wonder up until 5 years ago, what took so long for this to happen?

Look at all the great things that are happening in DCA.

DCA Championships this year had 2 southern corps and 1 west coast corps represented in the top 10.New corps are springing up all over the place and there are no signs of any of them folding.If anything they are becoming stronger.

Its a great year to be in DCA.I suspect that at DCA championships this year you will see 3 southern corps and 2 west coast corps in finals.

Not sure why it took so long to get there.I think much of it can be blamed on the old antiquated notion that once you age out,,,your done.Those days are OVER!

Times are a changing and for the better!

The new and improved Camel lips says

SEE YOU ON THE 50

Edited by camel lips

That's an excellent question. I don't have the answer, but I can tell you that when Renegades started to get up and running, it was not considered "cool" to join a senior corps. In fact, most people looked at us like we were crazy when we asked them to join. California just did not have that same tradition of a long and very strong senior corps circuit, like the East Coast had with DCA. When you aged out, you were expected to ... errr ... I dunno. Do something else.

Anyway, things have turned around out here, of course. Now, all the cool people march senior corps ... lol.

:music:

even in the heyday of the AL/VFW, outside of the East coast, once the 50's hit you really didn't have a lot of all-age corps past, oh, Ohio. or farther south than Baltimore.

in fact, you really didn't have a lot of junior corps in those areas. however the troopers seemed to help grow the west, and later Spirit helped grow the south. the midwest was always strong junior wise.

as the juniors sprouted up, i always wondered why no seniors did. my guess is no one really cared or tried.

but it is finally exploding all over, and this is good.