The official "Who is that soloist?" topic?

So....who was the big guy soloing on sop in 84-85 Madison...the one with a BIG drop of sweat coming off his ears during the end of the 85 show?

I understand he was mister nails....never missing. I know he was part of the sop duet at the end of "Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters" with Sean Owens in 84.

That would be Morgan Larson. He was kind of an S.O.B. but a great soloist for sure. The guys who came through the Madison Jr. Scouts from the late 70's were all well trained in brass techniques as well as but kicking. These were rough dudes. I saw Morgan take on and pound four guys (non-corps) in the last "Madison Fight" in history. 1985

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Glassmen soloist from 01 & 02 I'm sorry just put him in the Hall of Fame. He was that good.

His name is Kevin Creasy and by far one of the few guys I have ever watched that could could just make a crowd sit in absolute awwwwe. Thank you Kevin for that moment in my life.

Whoever did the solos during the ballad in Blue Devils 1994

That would be John Hartwick and Tim Meehan on soprano with Jim Rogers on bari. Nathan Moore played soprano also and he was the guy playing the backfield/lip trill part.

Jim was one of the most phenomenal players I have ever heard. I believe that he finished 2nd at I&E two years in a row.

Tim was awesome. He's exactly the kind of guy that you want to march with.

Carlito

I don't know or talk much about the old shows, but the mello from Phantom in 77 deserves to go up here as much as anyone else. Really, the whole show is just awesome in music.

I'm sure I've mentioned this guy 1 or 12 times before. Strawberry Soup 83, not Shaun, but the other one. Awesome! Effortless trilling and less hair than me even now! A God!

Also, first soloist in Bridgemen 'it dont mean a thing' 82. If I'm down, that goes on and always gets a smile on my face.

Finally, Bridgemen 80 I think, 'Big Noise from Winnetka'. The screamer makes that horn speak to me! Theres a bit near the end that defines how I want my sop solos played. High, loud, loose and wailing!

I've just watched the flugle guy from the Glassmen too, he is pure class.

I'm sure I've mentioned this guy 1 or 12 times before. Strawberry Soup 83, not Shaun, but the other one. Awesome! Effortless trilling and less hair than me even now! A God!

Also, first soloist in Bridgemen 'it dont mean a thing' 82. If I'm down, that goes on and always gets a smile on my face.

Finally, Bridgemen 80 I think, 'Big Noise from Winnetka'. The screamer makes that horn speak to me! Theres a bit near the end that defines how I want my sop solos played. High, loud, loose and wailing!

I've just watched the flugle guy from the Glassmen too, he is pure class.

The Madison soloist in Soup in '83 was Ira Arenson he was screaming with Shaun at the end. He soloed for Guardsmen before coming to Madison in '83. Equally impressive in Soup in '83 was Rich Labrizzi (spelling?) He did the intro right before shaun did his scream thing.

The Madison soloist in Soup in '83 was Ira Arenson he was screaming with Shaun at the end. He soloed for Guardsmen before coming to Madison in '83. Equally impressive in Soup in '83 was Rich Labrizzi (spelling?) He did the intro right before shaun did his scream thing.

Have to agree with you, he has a lovely tone on my recording of it. How old do these guys look?