iTunes/iPod video (not OT)

In the first couple of weeks iTunes sold over 1 million TV shows/videos on their iTunes service. Now that they have an (amazing) new iPod that plays videos, what do you think are the odds of DCI providing a similar service for video?

Does anyone know how successful their APD and mp3 sales have been since they introduced the service? iTunes charges $1.99 for an hour long (really roughly 43 minutes since this is minus commercials) episode of 'Lost.' What do you think are the chances that DCI will come out with something similar? Maybe, say, a full DCI show (since I just saw the opener on Season Pass, lets say SCV 91) for $4.99 season pass members, $5.99 non-members.

Now, the cool thing about iTunes is even if you don't have one of the super cool iPod video units (which I don't :(, you can still watch the shows in pretty high quality with the iTunes program (which is available for both Mac and PC computers). I've heard that it's not super difficult to put stuff up on iTunes store (just give Apple a profit share, which I would have no problem paying extra for the better, ie not Windows Media Player, quality). I know DCI has been selling their mp3's on their own sight, and I wouldn't mind a 'compromise' of them keeping selling the videos 'in house.'

Since many of us have shows we love in a season, and shows that don't do anything for us, I think it could be profitable for DCI to sell the video of shows, possibly even more-so than audio. It doesn't take much to conver a DVD to a decent quality quick time movie (I assume it's just as easily to convert to the lesser quality WMP), and I would think there's a demand.

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks DCI might check this out now that Apple has proven that it's a viable business. I'd love it. I've already spent more than my wife would like on DCI recordings; I'm sure I'd spend more on full videos of the show.

--

doug

I dont know if it would be profitable for DCI to offer video sales.

It would probably take a lot more money, staff and planning to produce a decent quality video of a corps show. Its much easier to do a sound recording then a video recording, that is unless DCI decided to film each corps using one camera and never changed shots. Who would pay to see that though?

It would probably take a lot more money, staff and planning to produce a decent quality video of a corps show. Its much easier to do a sound recording then a video recording, that is unless DCI decided to film each corps using one camera and never changed shots. Who would pay to see that though?

:laugh:

M

... just give Apple a profit share...

so split three ways between the corps, DCI, and Apple....these would cost how much again? :laugh:

it's a good idea, but i think they would have to charge closer to what they charged for the DCI finals individual performances for it to be profitable at all.

Edited by tubawarrior

Maybe DCI could sell some of the older videos?

I dont know how this would affect the sales of their legacy collection DVDs though.

why would it have to be a high quality video for it to go on an iPod? i mean, you'd probably want good audio, but since an iPod has such a small screen (im assuming the video playing one doesnt have a much bigger screen), it would be pretty hard to pick out details that closely. also with the small screen, you wpuldnt be able to see the whole show that well...it would probably make more sence for dci to sell the videos on their own website... or they could come up with some huge marketing scheme, and sell them for like twice as much on iTunes, that way people would be more likely to buy the cheaper ones from dci.org directly...

The DVDs aren't decent quality?

so split three ways between the corps, DCI, and Apple....these would cost how much again? :laugh:

it's a good idea, but i think they would have to charge closer to what they charged for the DCI finals individual performances for it to be profitable at all.

Last thing I need is a reason to buy another Apple toy :laugh:

Those individual DVDs must be gold-plated. Not only do I talk myself into 2 or 3 more while I'm waiting, but my 9 year old passes the time by finding every girls' t-shirt and "gotta have" flag from all the booster stands.

So, bring 'em on! b**bs