Concerns With Rose Bowl in 2007

Here is an email I sent to DCI today expressing my concerns with the Rose Bowl as a location for finals in 2007:

Dear DCI,

I have lived in Southern California since 1989 and have attended finals since 1991 (even Jackson, Miss!!!) so the idea of finals located here is very exciting, but I have two deep reservations about the Rose Bowl as a finals venue.

First and foremost would be the buzzing lights. I attended the Tour of Champions in 2004 and the noise of the lights during the softer passages of music overwhelmed my enjoyment of the corps (I sat on the 50 about halfway up). Anyone traveling great distances to see finals will be very upset by this (the complaints of the elevator bell/alarm at Foxboro in 2005 should be enough proof of potential problems) as I have never experienced anything close to this distracting at a corps performance venue before (except for amplification of corps, which is an entirely different e mail) .

Secondly, with the Rose Bowl being a true bowl, the corps will be much further away than what finals audiences have become accustomed to. Those wanting to be close will be disappointed and those who desire a bird's eye view will be distraught also.

I would love to see Drum Corps here in So Cal, just please think twice before you settle for the Rose Bowl. Sure it makes for sexy advertising, but I believe too many fans will be upset with the overall experience to say the trip was worth it. I'm sure San Diego would make a great spot for finals or even the Home Depot center near Carson, CA.

Sincerely,

Christopher Aud

Age 38

Drum corps fan since 1982

Finals fan since 1991

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd all be for having '07 Finals at the Rose Bowl if given parameters were condusive for a Finals week facility. Jack Murphy will always be ( Blahh..Qualcomm) a better overall location for finals, this is coming from a Socal Native, IHMO.

I agree with your concerns, however, I seriously doubt DCI will make any changes. San Diego would have been a much better choice, all things considered.

Agreed. Documents have been signed. It's over. The letter would probably have been equally ineffective if sent last Spring -- DCI listens to the Board. It listens to the fans when the fans vote with their wallets (why finals will not return to Jackson, MS anytime soon.)

I don't disagree with what was written; SD would have been a better choice. But we're going to Pasadena and any fan backlash, unless backed up by empty seats, will be given as much consideration by the Board as that anti-amp petition.

My husband mentioned these things to me, I didn't realize that stadium had such issues. If I had known Foxborough was as annoying I wouldn't have gone. But we won't be going that far anyway. So there's two empty seats someone can have.

As long as money is being made....and tickets are being sold, the other issues aren't going to matter. I agree with the poster who made the comment in reference to the fact that they only listen when fans vote with their wallets. That's what I'm choosing to do. Voting with my wallet.

Edited by Lancerlady

I was just thinking about the cost of traveling to the "left coast" for the DCI, and with the price of airfare,

car rental, "Price of Tix", Hotel, I think I will be spending my week in Aruba.

Much better deal!!!!!!!

You can have my tix too!!!!

CODI

I agree with Steph...the "power" you have is to choose to NOT come out. Which is fine by me personally, because there'll be that many more seats available to the VAST numbers of people that WILL be buying tickets to come to the historic Rose Bowl (and other venues in the area I'm sure).

Complaining about light noise and corps' being "too far away" seems pretty weak in this posters mind about whether you want to go to DCI finals or not, or whether or not it should be held out here in the first place (in Pasadena as opposed to other places). But to each is own.

I strongly believe that Pasadena will be a GREAT host to DCI, and that the Rose Bowl will be PACKED.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner