Just watched the 81 Whitewater DVD

Not a slam in ANY way....but what WAS it that made the crowd go so ape #### for Cavaliers at that show? Regional hype? Cavies' applause was better then even Madison...the crowd was almost constantly going berserk.

Now...it's a GREAT show...classic old-school Cavies....but good LORD the differance was amazing!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, you made me go pull it out and watch it, I hadn't gotten that far yet in 81. But there were several things going on in that show that made the crowd go ape.

In the opener if you notice the rifles had flags and rifles they were twirling at the same time, that was a great GE along with the double flags they got from (Zingali).. b**bs

In the drum solo, they did rifle tosses over each other and the flags and rifles were twirling rifles at once and at one point the rifles were twirling two at one time. Also there was a rifle who did a very high toss at the end of the color guard routine, I don't know if it was a quad or higher but another reason to go insane.

And in "Soflty as I leave you" they went ape #### because...the flags were tossed over the horn line then the rifle line layed down twilring as the horn line and drum line walks over them with the dramatic step over. And I think Jeff was using a mace (I believe) and he threw it pretty high as the company front was coming forward..so that along with the excitement of the show, that color guard was the bomb diggity. :laugh:

Oh, I understood all of THOSE responses....it's just the general nuttiness that made me wonder....not the crowd going collectively hoarse after the stepover move.

On other performances...I can't imagine what it must've been like for Garfield to have to follow Cavies....especially since those were the days when you saw the next corps come into the stadium during the last minute, so they heard ALL of that!

81 Bridgemen....the guy playing Tony in the "West Side Story" medly canNOT dance....ewww....

Not a slam in ANY way....but what WAS it that made the crowd go so ape #### for Cavaliers at that show? Regional hype? Cavies' applause was better then even Madison.

Again, not a slam in any way, but Madison's show didn't start out with a rifle toss across the ENTIRE DRUM LINE!!!!!! ^OO^

Having been there, I think that the audience response has a lot to do with the fact that the WGI winning guard was put on display.........doing a lot of guard work that other corps just COULDN'T even attempt. :ph34r::laugh:

And that audience response pretty much typified the ENTIRE season.......so I wouldn't exactly attribute it to regional homers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, mobrien and deftguy! :P

Again, not a slam in any way, but Madison's show didn't start out with a rifle toss across the ENTIRE DRUM LINE!!!!!! ^OO^

Having been there, I think that the audience response has a lot to do with the fact that the WGI winning guard was put on display.........doing a lot of guard work that other corps just COULDN'T even attempt. :ph34r::laugh:

And that audience response pretty much typified the ENTIRE season.......so I wouldn't exactly attribute it to regional homers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, mobrien and deftguy! :P

Uncle Z you are right. Everywhere we went that year they threw babies at our guard. The powers that be pretty much let Brubaker go wild and really pushed the guard forward that year.

Uncle Z you are right. Everywhere we went that year they threw babies at our guard. The powers that be pretty much let Brubaker go wild and really pushed the guard forward that year.

Yep. Sorry to say it, but I don't think that you guys are EVER gonna get the credit that you deserve. :(

<==goes to look for his '81 Drum Corps World with the article in which the columnist complains about the '81 Cavies doing TOO MUCH guard work.

I agree, you guys had an awesome guard book that year. Uncle z, it wasn't that other corps "couldn't" do the work....they (our staff) wouldn't let us keep it in. As you remember, those were the days of the tick system and every little mistake or drop was counted against the entire corps. Our staff would not let us do anything that could cost the corps points. We started out with a "meaty" guard book but ended up watering it down the whole season. Many tosses were taken out as well as the Holly Hawks move we had in the end. We were marching forward in a wedge with a flag in one hand and a rifle in the other......that part was kept in, but we used to toss the rifle, chop it with the flag, switch the flag in the other hand then catch the rifle with the other hand. I was ###### that they took it out! Not enough people could do it consistantly! But hey, we had to stay ahead of you guys! :)

Edited by Malibu

I agree, you guys had an awesome guard book that year. Uncle z, it wasn't that other corps "couldn't" do the work....they (our staff) wouldn't let us keep it in. As you remember, those were the days of the tick system and every little mistake or drop was counted against the entire corps. Our staff would not let us do anything that could cost the corps points. We started out with a "meaty" guard book but ended up watering it down the whole season. Many tosses were taken out as well as the Holly Hawks move we had in the end. We were marching forward in a wedge with a flag in one hand and a rifle in the other......that part was kept in, but we used to toss the rifle, chop it with the flag, switch the flag in the other hand then catch the rifle with the other hand. I was ###### that they took it out! Not enough people could do it consistantly! But hey, we had to stay ahead of you guys! :)

Malibu,

I agree with you that other guards could do what we did, but if you saw the other things that Brubaker had in mind, it would have scared the crap out of you. Some would not believe that this WAS the watered down version of our show. Instead of just giving up on the difficulty factor, Steve worked us to death to get it right. I think we pretty much threw the tick to the wind during the year, but we were also under some pressure to get what we did right.

Uncle Z, I guess it really doesn't matter to me that we don't get the credit we really do deserve. There were alot of good guards that year. I am perfectly satisfied with the memory of the cheers we got in 81. This year unfortunately was the beginning of the end for the dedicated rifle line. After 82 they were pretty much gone, and the only exception was us.

I figured they went insane over the color guard cause I would've too. That color guard was incredible! I was dropping my jaw!

After starting to watch 27's color guard now, I notice myself checking out the color guard alot in other shows. Just to see...and most of the time I am blown away. I know I couldn't do that stuff y'all did. :)

Also hey mobrien and deftguy, did Jeff (was it Jeff in 81)? Throw a mace like he did in 80? That was pretty awesome too. :laugh: